- Yield: 4 servings
Tenderloin of Beef “Chesapeake Style”
Recipe courtesy of Bill Justus, Executive Chef, The Boar’s Head, Charlottesville, Va.
- For Lemon Hollandaise Sauce
- butter - 2 cups
- egg yolks - 6
- white vinegar - 1 tsp.
- white wine - 3 Tbsps.
- lemon juice - 1 Tbsp.
- white pepper - 1/8 tsp.
- hot sauce - 3 dashes
- For Olive Oil-Poached Tomatoes
- heirloom tomatoes - 1 lb., coarsely chopped
- salt - 1/8 tsp.
- pepper - to taste
- sugar - 1 Tbsp.
- garlic cloves - 4, minced
- sprigs fresh thyme - 5
- olive oil - 2 cups
- For Jumbo Lump Crab-Topped Filets
- beef filets - 4 6-oz.
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- jumbo lump crab meat - 8 ozs.
- melted butter - 2 Tbsps.
- panko - 2 ozs.
- chopped parsley - 1 tsp.
- chopped chives - 1 tsp.
- green asparagus spears - 12, cooked
- white asparagus spears - 8, cooked
- beef demi-glace - 2 ozs.
For Lemon Hollandaise Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan until it foams. Ladle off the clear butter, discarding the solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Combine the clarified butter with the egg yolks, wine, vinegar, lemon juice and hot sauce in a stainless-steel bowl set over a simmering pan of water. Whisk until mixture thickens.
For Olive Oil-Poached Tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 175º F.
- Arrange the tomatoes in one layer in a baking dish. Season with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sugar, garlic and thyme.
Add enough olive oil to almost cover the tomatoes. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
For Jumbo Lump Crab-Topped Filets:
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Season the filets with salt and pepper. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and sear the filets.
- Combine the crab, butter, panko, parsley and chives in a small bowl. Divide the mixture into four portions. Pat one portion onto each filet. Bake until the filets reach the desired doneness.
- Divide the asparagus among four plates. Place a filet next to the asparagus. Spoon lemon Hollandaise over both.
- Garnish with 8 ozs. of the olive oil-poached tomatoes.
- Drizzle the demi-glace around the filet.