- Yield: 4 servings
Pan-Seared Duck Breast with Soba Noodle Salad, Blood Orange and Carrot Chips
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Cavanaugh, Executive Chef, Carmel Country Club, Charlotte, N.C.
- duck breast - 2 each, fat trimmed and scored
- soba noodles - 12 ozs., cooked
- red pepper - 1 each, julienned
- red onion - 1/2 each, julienned
- blood oranges - 2 each, segmented; reserve the juice for vinaigrette
- green onion - 2 each, cut on a bias
- carrot - 1 each, peeled into strips
- soy sauce - to taste
- sesame seeds - to taste
- Season duck breast with salt and pepper; place duck fat side down in a hot pan.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes until fat is rendered, then place in 500-degree oven for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until medium rare. Place on a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a bowl, mix soba noodles, red pepper, onion, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Season the mixture lightly with pepper.
- In a separate bowl, drizzle the blood orange segments with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place peeled carrots into a 350-degree fryer and cook until crispy; remove from oil and drain on paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- Place 3 ozs. of the Soba Noodle Salad in the center of the plate.
- Slice the duck breast on the bias and fan over the top of the noodle salad.
- Toss the julienned green onions with the blood oranges and place on top of the duck breast.
- Drizzle the remaining blood orange juice around the plate.
- Top with carrot chips.