Southwest Florida Frogmore Stew With Sauteed Hogfish, Seared Key West Pink Shrimp, Local Sweet Corn, Heirloom Tomatoes and La Ratte Potato
Recipe courtesy of Tim Recher, CEC, AAC, CWX, Director of Culinary & Clubhouse Operations, Quail West Golf and Country Club, Naples, Fla.
- Ingredients for Hogfish, Key West Pink Shrimp
- hogfish - 4 filets, approx. 5oz each
- fresh Key West pink shrimp, head on - 4, peeled and deveined
- grapeseed oil - 1 Tbsp.
- Old Bay spice - 1 Tbsp.
- smoked paprika - 1 tsp.
- key lime - 1, halved
- butter - 2 Tbsp., whole
- thyme - 1 sprig
- garlic clove - 1, unpeeled, cracked
- shallot - 1/2, unpeeled
- Ingredients for Frogmore Stew
- grapeseed oil - 2 tsp.
- clove garlic - 2, minced
- shallot - 1, sliced thin
- fresh Florida sweet corn - 2 ears, reserve cobs for broth
- heirloom tomato concasse - 1/2 cup, reserve skins and seeds for broth
- La Ratte potatoes - 8, blanched, sliced into rounds 1/4-inch thick
- chives - 2 tsp., minced
- basil - 1 tsp., chiffonade
- thyme - 1 tsp., chopped
- parsley - 1 tsp., chopped
- butter - 1 Tbsp.
- salt - to taste
- black pepper - fresh ground, to taste
- Ingredients for Broth
- light olive oil - 1 Tbsp.
- garlic cloves - 4, sliced thin
- shallots - 2, sliced thin
- fish fumet - 1 qt. (Chef’s note: We use a sea creature stock prepared with shrimp shells, lobster shells, fish bones.)
- bay leaf - 1, fresh
- thyme - 1 sprig
- key lime - 1, juice and zest
- vermouth - 1 cup
- heirloom tomato puree - 2 cups
- scraps from tomato concasse
- Old bay seasoning - to taste
Procedure for Hogfish, Key West Pink Shrimp:
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Season hogfish and shrimp with Old Bay and smoked paprika.
- Sauté fish filet and sear shrimp on all sides.
- After turning fish, add whole butter, garlic, shallot and thyme to the melting butter.
- As butter begins to brown, squeeze in lime and add to the pan.
- Baste fish until just cooked through. Reserve for service.
- To plate: Spoon corn sauté into center of heated shallow bowl. Place fish and shrimp on corn mixture. Ladle broth around fish. Garnish with fresh herbs and drops of extra virgin olive oil.
Procedure for Frogmore Stew:
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and shallot. Sauté briefly until aromatic.
- Add potatoes and corn and sauté for approx. 3 minutes.
- Add concasse, toss.
- Add seasonings, herbs and butter to emulsify.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Reserve for service.
Procedure for Broth:
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and shallots. Sauté briefly until aromatic.
- Add vermouth and reduce by half.
- Add fumet and reduce by half.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a slow simmer.
- Cook for approx. 15 minutes to allow all the flavors to come together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Strain and reserve for service.