- Yield: 4 servings
New Bedford Scallops with Bacon Jam, Golden Pineapple, Pickled Mustard Seeds and Mache
Recipe courtesy of Matthew Southhard, Executive Chef, Barrington Hills Country Club, Barrington, Ill.
- For Scallops
- scallops - 8 cleaned, U10
- grapeseed oil - 2 ozs.
- butter - 2 ozs.
- coriander - 1/2 oz.
- sea salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- For Bacon Jam
- bacon - 4 ozs., maple-smoked
- onion - 2 ozs., spanish, chopped
- sherry vinegar - 8 ozs.
- garlic clove - 1, minced
- honey - 1 1/2 ozs. organic
- thyme - 3 sprigs
- dark brown sugar - 1/2 oz.
- For Golden Pineapple
- pineapple - 1/4, cut into chunks
- butter - 3 ozs., European
- vanilla bean - 1
- star anise - 2
- For Pickled Mustard Seeds
- yellow mustard seeds - 2 ozs.
- champagne vinegar - 3 ozs.
- honey - 1 Tbsp., organic
- water - 1 oz.
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Add grapeseed oil and butter to sauté pan on high heat. Season the scallos with coriander, salt and pepper.
- Sear the scallops for one minute on each side, until they have a golden crust. Let rest on a paper towel.
For Bacon Jam
- Cook bacon in a pan until crisp. Drain and reserve the bacon fat for future use.
- Add onion and sweat until translucent. Deglaze with sherry and add reserved bacon, garlic, honey, thyme, and dark brown sugar. Cook for 10 minutes over low flame.
For Golden Pineapple
- Sear pineapple in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and cook until it foams, then add brown sugar, vanilla bean and star anise.
- Baste the pineapple until the butter and sugar form a caramel-like texture.
For Pickled Mustard Seeds
- In a small pot, add yellow mustard seeds, champagne vinegar, honey and water. Cook until slightly plump.
- Place two scallops on each plate. Top with bacon jam and mache or red sorrel.
- Arrange the pineapple chunks and pickled mustard seeds around the scallops.