Corn and Heart of Palm Cake
Recipe courtesy of Söenke Brandt, Executive Chef, Woodmont Country Club, Rockville, Md.
- corn - 2 cups
- olive oil - as needed
- peppers - 1/4 cup, chopped
- onion - 1/4 cup, chopped
- hearts of palm - 16 ozs., chopped
- scallions - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp.
- gluten-free panko - 1/4 cup
- vegan mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- gluten-free panko - 1/4 cup for coating
- salt - to taste
- fresh ground pepper - to taste
- chive oil - as needed
- To Serve
- red beet - 1, cooked soft in salted water
- yellow beet - 1, cookied soft in salted water
- cherry tomato - 1 pint, halved and tossed with salt, pepepr, red onion and olive oil
- Coat the corn with olive oil and roast for a few minutes. Cool.
- Lightly sauté the peppers and onions. Cool.
- In a bowl, mix the hearts of palm, scallions, mustard, panko and mayonnaise. Form the mixture into cake and coat with panko.
- Sauté with a small amount of olive oil over medium heat until golden brown. Drizzle with chive oil.
- Serve with red and yellow beets, a petit green garden salad and a salad of cherry tomatoes.