duck confit and buckwheat waffle with orange vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy of Justin Field, Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager, Eaglewood Golf Course and Event Center (North Salt Lake, Utah)
- Ingredients for Duck Confit:
- duck legs - 24 ea., with thighs and skin on
- duck fat - 7 lbs., rendered and strained
- kosher salt - 720 gms.
- white sugar - 135 gms.
- shallots - 6 ea., sliced
- garlic - 20 cloves, crushed
- peppercorns - 2 Tbsp.
- thyme - 2 oz., fresh
- Ingredients for Buckwheat Waffle:
- all-purpose flour - 480 gms.
- buckwheat flour - 180 gms.
- white sugar - 30 gms.
- kosher salt - 20 gms.
- instant yeast or beer yeast leftover from brewing - 1 Tbsp.
- whole milk - 5.5 cups
- butter - 1 cup, unsalted and melted
- eggs - 4 ea., large
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Orange Vinaigrette:
- orange juice - 1 cup
- balsamic vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Dijon mustard - 1/4 cup
- honey - 8 tsp.
- black pepper - 1 tsp., cracked
- To Finish:
- Supreme orange
- micro intensity mix
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Maldon Sea Salt
Procedure for Duck Confit:
- Combine salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut tendons on tip of leg so meat easily slides off bone.
- Holding 1 leg at a time over the bowl, salt rub a generous amount of the mixture over each leg.
- Pack each leg into a container large enough to hold them all. Disperse peppercorns, garlic, thyme, and onion evenly over each layer.
- Cover and allow to sit in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Unpack legs and rub off any salt and spice with a paper towel. Pat dry and place in a hotel pan in a single layer.
- Melt duck fat over low heat and pour over duck legs, making sure to cover them by at least 1 inch of fat.
- Cook the duck, uncovered in the oven, for up to 3 hours checking every hour or so. (Chef's note: Fat should never rise above 220°F. Duck meat should pull off leg bone and be easily pierced with a fork when down.)
- When done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Allow legs to mature in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 week before use.
Procedure for Buckwheat Waffle:
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Whisk together milk and butter.
- Whisk together dry mix and wet mix until incorporated.
- Allow mixture to ferment at room temperature for 3 hours or overnight.
- Before using, whisk in eggs and baking powder.
- Set waffle maker to 375°F and cook for 3.5 minutes.
Procedure for Orange Vinaigrette:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Reserve until needed.
- Remove duck leg from fat and pull meat from bones. Place on flat top with some duck fat to brown turning twice approx 3-4 minutes.
- Cook waffle. (Chef's note: Circle waffle can be cut into 4 pieces like the picture. A rectangle waffle can be used whole.)
- Place waffle onto place and top with pieces of duck.
- Add a few pieces of supreme orange interspersed with the duck.
- Mix microgreens with a dash of vinaigrette and place on top of duck and waffles.
- Finish with cracked pepper and Maldon sea salt.