Long Island duck à l'orange two ways
Recipe courtesy of Michael Weisshaupt, Executive Chef, Director of Food & Beverage, Fiddler's Elbow (Bedminster, N.J.)
- Long Island duck - 1 ea., 5-6 lbs.
- gluten-free soy sauce - 2 cups
- kosher salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- duck fat - 2 quarts
- Maldon salt - 2 Tbsp.
- cracked black peppercorns - to taste
- bay leaves - 4 ea.
- Potato Cakes
- Idaho potatoes - 2 ea.
- chives - 2 Tbsp., cut
- egg yolk - 1 ea.
- potato starch - as needed
- duck fat - for browning
- Snow Pea and Local Corn Succotash
- snow peas - 8 oz.
- corn - 2 pcs., local, roasted, in the husk
- oranges - 2 ea., filet in supremes
- soy sauce - to taste
- butter - 1 tsp.
- Orange Gastrique
- sugar in the raw - 3 Tbsp.
- Sherry vinegar - 3 oz.
- orange juice - 2 cups, freshly juiced
- Marinate the rest of the duck with soy sauce.
- Prep the Rational Cooking Mode for Poultry > Peking Duck.
- Let the Combi reheat.
- Once temperature is reached, hang the duck on wire rack.
- Probe breast by selecting the color.
- Close the door and let the magic begin.
- Cook the Idaho potatoes in their skin until soft. Peel and run through ricer. Season with salt, white pepper, egg yolk and chives. If the potato mixture is too soft, add some potato starch until the mixture is not sticking to the surface anymore, then form into round cakes and pan-sear in duck fat until golden-brown.
- Blanch snow peas, cut the corn of the cob and sauté in olive oil and deglaze with two spoons of soy sauce. Finish with a teaspoon of butter.
- Caramelize sugar to a light brown caramel. Deglaze with Sherry vinegar and reduce 80% of the liquid. Add orange juice and let simmer. Reduce to a light, syrupy consistency.
- Carve the duck breast with wing bone attached of the carcass. Heat ½ cup duck fat in a casserole and crisp the skin of the breast and leg until it reaches a nice golden-brown color.
Procedure for Plating:
- Place potato cake at the center of the plate.
- Place the succotash around the potato cake.
- Set the breast and leg atop of the cake and drizzle the orange gastrique around it.
- Garnish with orange supremes.