Brown Butter Scallops
Recipe courtesy of Colby Newman, Executive Chef, Grosse Pointe (Mich.) Yacht Club
Recipe by Domonique Morsello, Executive Sous Chef, Grosse Pointe (Mich.) Yacht Club
- For Berbere Cashew Cream
- salt-roasted cashews - 1 cup
- whole milk - 2 cups
- Berbere spice - 2 tsp.
- tumeric - 1 tsp.
- to taste - kosher salt
- For Charred Scallion Lemon Oil
- scallions - 3 bunches, stems removed
- lemon zest - 2 each
- lemon oil - 1/4 cup
- grapeseed oil - 2 cups
- kosher salt - to taste
- For Pickled Shitakes
- dried shitakes - 2 cups, loosely packed
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- soy sauce - 1/2 cup
- red wine vinegar - 1/2 cup
- ginger - 2-inch piece, peeled
- For Brown Butter Scallops
- scallops - 3 ea., muscle removed
- thyme - 2 sprigs
- olive oil - as needed
- butter - 2 ozs., cold
- pea shoots
- crumbled cashew
- toasted black sesame seed
- purple brussel sprout leaaves
For Berbere Cashew Cream:
- In a blender, add all ingredients.
- Blend on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed until the cream is smooth.
- Remove from blender and pass the cream through a chinois.
- Season to taste with salt if needed.
For Charred Scallion Lemon Oil:
- Chargrill scallions over medium high flame.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Once cooled add all remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Remove from blender and strain through a chinois lined with a coffee filter into another container.
- Season to taste with kosher salt.
For Pickled Shitakes:
- Steep the shitakes in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- In a heavy bottom pot, combine the reserved mushroom liquid, mushrooms, sugar, soy, ginger and rice wine vinegar, boil for 30 minutes and let cool.
For Brown Butter Scallops:
- Pat scallops dry with paper towel. They do not require seasoning due to the salted cashews and pickled mushrooms.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. Sear the scallops until golden brown on one side and flip.
- Once flipped, add the thyme and cold butter, Poulet the scallops with the butter until milk fat solids have caramelized and smell nutty.
- Spoon the cashew cream on the plate as desired.
- Drizzle the scallion oil in the center of the cream.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the cream.
- Toss the brussels sprouts in the oil and place randomly.
- Remove stems from the shitakes and place randomly on plate as desired.
- Sprinkle the cashew crumble around the plate.
- Add the scallops overlapping each other.
- Top with pea shoots