Caramelized Cape Cod Sea Scallops
Recipe courtesy of Anthony Rebeni, Executive Chef, Vineyard Golf Club, Edgartown, Mass.
For the Scallops:
- Dry and season both sides of the scallop
- Heat saute pan with oil to high heat.
- Place scallop into pan; do not move until golden brown (about 2 minutes)
- Flip and finish cooking on other side (3 minutes)
For the Creamy Cauliflower Puree:
- Rough-chop the cauliflower into thin slices
- Place all ingredients, except lemon, into a pot; cover with lid
- Bring to high heat, then reduce to a low simmer, looking for doneness
- Blend the cauliflower, adding lemon juice
- Add cream and cooking liquid until smooth, and taste
For the Crispy Kale:
- Wash 1 bunch kale
- Place in a 300°F fryer until crispy (1 minute), and season. Or toss with oil, salt and pepper and bake in 275° oven for 20 minutes.
- Place cauliflower puree on plate
- Place the cooked scallops on top of the puree
- Top the scallops with crispy kale