butternut Squash risotto and scallops
Recipe courtesy of Brandon Pomerson, Executive Chef, Baltimore Yacht Club
Procedure for Butternut Squash Risotto:
- Peel, seed and dice butternut squash. Add to vegetable stock and boil until soft strain from liquid and reserve liquid.
- Purée in food processor.
- Heat rondo. Add oil to pan. Add onions cook until translucent.
- Add arborio rice. Sauté, coat with oil.
- Add first batch of stock to cover. Reduce until almost gone.
- Add butternut squash purée. Add more stock to cover. Reduce and continue to stir to avoid sticking.
- Add third batch of stock. Cook until rice is firm but cooked. (Chef's note: You will reheat for service.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste (Chef's note: Always keep checking doneness of rice.)
- Place finished risotto on lined sheet tray with parchment paper to cool.
- Place in container. Label and date.
Procedure for Scallops (Per Plate):
- Clean U-10 scallop by removing muscle off the side of the scallop. Pat dry for better sear.
- Place four scallops in a hot pan to sear (Chef's note: I prefer to sear on one side.)
- Place in oven 350°F for approximately 3 minutes.
- When scallops come out of the oven, flip over. Place cubes of butter and herbs in the pan to baste the scallops. (Chef's note: Thyme is my go-to.)
- Heat up the risotto with vegetable stock and finish with parmesan cheese, adjust seasoning and consistency.
- Place risotto in center of the bowl with sauteed spinach, dried cranberries, pepitas and apple cider reduction (apple cider reduced down to a syrup).
- Arrange scallops around the risotto.