Key lime curd
Recipe courtesy of Jennie Miller, Pastry Chef, The Union League Club of Chicago
- In a large bowl over a water bath, whisk together eggs, yolks, sugar and juices until well incorporated. (Use a hand blender if available.)
- Heat mixture until thick (about 160°F), stirring often. Take care that there isn’t a lot of steam coming from the pan below.
- Once mixture is thick, gently stir in butter cubes.
- Pour mixture into deep hotel pans over a water bath and cover custard directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin.
- Keep custard in refrigerator up to 5 days.
- Pipe custard into desired tart shells and level off flush with top of tart.
- Bake at 350°F, low or no fan, for 8-9 minutes (large) or 4 minutes (small).
- Pipe meringue decoratively on top and bake for 2 minutes at 400⁰ F, low or no fan, rotating to get an even, very light-brown color on the meringue.