- Yield: 8 servings
Warm Soft Ricotta Cake with Almond Crème Anglaise, Sour Cherry Sorbetto and Cherry Pop RocksWarm Soft Ricotta Cake with Almond Crème Anglaise, Sour Cherry Sorbetto and Cherry Pop Rocks
Recipe courtesy of Pedro Sanchez, Executive Chef, and submitted by Lisa Carruth, Director of Catering/Member Relations Director, BraeBurn Country Club, Houston, Texas.
- For Warm Soft Ricotta Cake
- white chocolate - 12 ozs.
- unsalted butter - 1/2 lb.
- vanilla extract - 2 tsp.
- egg yolks - 6
- flour - 1 1/2 ozs., all-purpose
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- ricotta cheese - 4 ozs.
- egg whites - 6
- sugar - 4 ozs.
- cream of tartar - 1/4 tsp.
- For Almond Créme Anglaise
- whole milk - 1/2 cup
- whipping cream - 1/2 cup
- vanilla bean - 1 2-inch piece, split
- almond paste - 1 Tbsp.
- egg yolk - 3, large
- sugar - 3 Tbsp.
- For Sour Cherry Sorbetto
- sour cherries - 5 cups, frozen, pitted
- lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp.
- water - 3/4 cup
- granulated sugar - 3 Tbsp.
- cherry pop rocks - for garnish
For Warm Soft Ricotta Cake
- Melt the white chocoalte and butter on a bain marie, then add the vanilla, egg yolks, flour, salt and ricotta cheese. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks are formed, add the sugar and cream of tartar, and keep the whipping until hard peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg-white meringue with the white chocolate mixture.
- Place in buttered baking mold in the oven for 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Serve Warm.
For Almond Créme Anglaise
- Combine milk and cream in heavy medium saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and almond paste.
- Bring milk mixture to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk hot-milk mixture into yolk mixture.
- Return custard to saucepan. Stir over low heat until custard thickens (do not boil). Strain sauce into bowl. Cover and chill.
For Sour Cherry Sorbetto
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend them until the cherry mixture is smooth. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve the cherry sorbetto immediately or freeze it for an additional hour for a hard set.
- Save cherry pop rocks for plating garnish.
- Place ricotta cake in stemless martini glass. Top with almond créme anglaise followed by a scoop of sour cherry sorbetto.
- Just prior to service, sprinkle with cherry pop rocks.