- Yield: 16 servings
tonka bean panna cotta
Recipe courtesy of Rebecca Freeman, Executive Pastry Chef, The Club at Las Campanas (Santa Fe, N.M.)
- Ingredients for Tonka Bean Panna Cotta:
- heavy cream - 250 gms.
- milk - 120 gms.
- sugar - 30 gms.
- silver sheet gelatin - 5 gms.
- ground tonka bean - 5 gms.
- vanilla bean paste - 5 gms.
- Ingredients for Dehydrated Chocolate Mousse:
- 70% dark chocolate - 150g gms.
- egg yolks - 40 gms.
- egg whites - 150 gms.
- granulated sugar - 60 gms.
- salt - 4 gms.
- Ingredients for Raspberry Gel:
- raspberry purée - 150 gms.
- honey - 50 gms.
- water - 50 gms.
- agar agar - 2 gms.
- Ingredients for Raspberry Sorbet:
- granulated sugar - 200 gms.
- raspberries - 500 gms.
- lemon juice - 20 gms.
- water - 120 gms.
- glucose - 50 gms.
- Ingredients for Chocolate Crumb;
- butter - 150 gms.
- powdered sugar - 120 gms.
- egg yolks - 70 gms.
- all-purpose flour - 260 gms.
- cocoa powder - 60 gms.
- Ingredients for Assembly:
- sliced raspberries
- nasturtium leaves
Procedure for Tonka Bean Panna Cotta:
- Bloom gelatin in ice water.
- Combine heavy cream, milk, sugar, tonka bean, and vanilla in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Wring out excess water from gelatin and add to mixture.
- Take mixture off heat and strain into a small bowl. Cool over an ice bath until mixture reaches 90°F.
- Pour panna cotta into silicone mold and freeze 8 hours. Unmold and reserve.
Procedure for Dehydrated Chocolate Mousse:
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler.
- Add yolks and combine. Take off heat.
- In a stand mixer, whip egg whites until foamy. Rain in sugar and salt and bring to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in meringue into chocolate mixture.
- Spread over a full sheet silpat and dehydrate for 4 hours at 140°F.
- Break into medium-sized pieces and reserve.
Procedure for Raspberry Gel:
- Combine purée, honey, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add agar agar and whisk in. Cool over ice bath.
- Once gel is set, add to blender and puree until smooth.
- Add to squeeze bottle and reserve.
Procedure for Raspberry Sorbet:
- Combine sugar, water, and glucose in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Take off heat and cool over an ice bath.
- Combine simple syrup with raspberries and lemon juice and purée in a blender until smooth.
- Push through a fine mesh strainer to remove all the seeds.
- Spin sorbet in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Freeze sorbet and reserve.
Procedure for Chocolate Crumb:
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add yolks slowly. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Roll out dough until a quarter-inch thick. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Bake dough off at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Once cookie is cool, add to a food processor and grind to a fine crumb.
- Reserve for later use.
- Place two panna cotta on the plate separated by an inch.
- Place a spoonful of chocolate crumbs between the two panna cotta.
- Arrange three pieces of dehydrated chocolate mousse around the panna cotta.
- Fill in the empty spaces with piped dots of raspberry gel.
- Arrange sliced raspberries on top of the gel.
- Quenelle raspberry sorbet and place over chocolate crumb.
- Place nasturtium leaves on top of sliced raspberries.