cocoa-crusted filet mignon with salsify purée, confit of baby tomato and garlic herb maitake mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Timothy Smith, Executive Chef, Hideaway Beach Club
- Ingredients for Cocoa Rub:
- unsweetened cocoa powder - 1 cup
- light brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- granulated garlic - 1/4 cup
- ground coriander - 1/4 cup
- dark chili powder - 2 Tbsp.
- kosher salt - 1 cup
- Ingredients for Salsify Purée:
- salsify - 5 lb., peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- heavy cream - 3 qts.
- buttermilk - 1 qt.
- kosher salt - 3 Tbsp.
- ground white pepper - 1 tsp.
- fresh thyme leaves - 1 Tbsp.
- Ingredients for Confit of Baby Tomatoes:
- cherry or grape tomatoes - 2 lbs., washed and dried
- garlic - 10 cloves, peeled and gently smashed
- olive oil - 1 cup
- reserved duck fat from duck confit - 3/4 cup
- chili flakes - 1/2 tsp.
- fresh thyme - 8 sprigs
- kosher salt - 1 1/4 tsp.
- ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Garlic-and-Herb-Roasted Maitake Mushrooms:
- maitake mushrooms - 1 lb., cleaned and broken into small bunches
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- garlic - 3 cloves, finely minced
- fresh thyme leaves - 2 tsp., chopped
- fresh rosemary leaves - 1 tsp., finely chopped
- kosher salt - 2 tsp.
- fresh ground black pepper - 1 tsp.
Procedure for Cocoa Rub:
- Mix all ingredients until evenly distributed.
Procedure for Salsify Purée:
- In a heavy pot, add all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes until the salsify is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until the salsify is puréed very smooth.
- Hold for service.
Procedure for Confit of Baby Tomatoes:
- Preheat convection oven to 225°F.
- In a half hotel pan, add all of the ingredients and stir, making sure the tomatoes are submerged in the fat.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from oven, fold back the corner of the foil, and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently remove from the fat and place on perforated pan to allow the remaining oil to drip off.
- Serve at room temperature.
Procedure for Garlic and Herb Roasted Maitake Mushrooms:
- Preheat convection oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the maitake mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients, being careful not to break up the small bunches.
- Spread out the mushrooms evenly on a sheet pan that has been brushed with olive oil.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the edges begin to get slightly crispy.
Procedure for the Dish:
- Put the cocoa rub on a half sheet pan and shake the pan to evenly distribute the rub.
- Roll the filet mignon steaks to coat the outer edges of the steak.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, using equal parts clarified butter and olive oil, sear the steaks, 3-4 minutes on each side until a nice sear has been achieved. Finish steaks to medium-rare in a preheated 350°F oven.
- Rest 5-8 minutes for service.
Procedure for Plating:
- Spoon 2 Tbsp. of the salsify purée on to the plate. Use the spoon to drag it across the plate.
- Place the rested filet mignon on one side of the salsify, then add the maitake and finally the tomato confit.