Herb and Parmesan-Crusted Cod with Zucchini “Noodles," Scored Calamari, Crispy Pancetta and Cumin-Infused Tomato Broth
Recipe courtesy of Matthew Marrero, Jr. Sous Chef at The Apawamis Club (Rye, N.Y.)
- Ingredients for the Zucchini Noodles
- zucchini - 4 ea., medium (about 2 pounds)
- extra virgin olive oil - 3 Tbsp.
- minced garlic - 1 Tbsp. (3 to 4 cloves)
- crushed red pepper flakes - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. (depending on how spicy you want)
- tomatoes - 2 ea., medium, chopped, see note (about 12 ounces)
- shredded parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup, plus more for serving (see notes for alternatives)
- basil leaves - 1 cup, torn into pieces
- cornstarch - 1 tsp.
- cold water - 2 tsp.
- salt - to taste
- Ingredients for the Cumin-Infused Tomato Broth
- red onion - 1 ea.
- garlic - 1 clove
- tomatoes - 800 grams
- carrot - 1 ea., small, diced
- tomato paste - 3 Tbsp.
- ground cumin - 2 tsp.
- fresh coriander - 1 tsp.
- vegetable stock - 1 cup
- turmeric - 1 tsp.
Procedure for the Zucchini Noodles
- Trim and spiralize the zucchini (see below for how to do this without a spiralizer). Cut extra-long noodles so that they are about the length of spaghetti.
- Add olive oil, garlic and the red pepper flakes to a large, deep skillet. Turn to medium heat.
- When the oil begins to bubble around the garlic, add the zucchini noodles. Toss the noodles with pasta tongs and cook until al dente; they should be wilted, but still have a crunch, about 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the noodles cook any longer or else they will become mushy. As they cook, keep tossing so that all the zucchini noodles have a chance to hit the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese. Cook for one minute.
- Use pasta tongs to transfer the noodles, tomatoes and basil to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
- Bring the liquid left in the skillet to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Then whisk into the simmering liquid. Cook while whisking until the liquid thickens to a sauce, about 1 minute.
- Taste the sauce, and season with salt. Pour the sauce over the zucchini, tomatoes,and basil. Finish with more parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.
Procedure for the Scored Calamari
- At the bottom left is squid scored the basic way (straight cuts with the blade of the knife making a 90° angle with the surface of the squid). The cuts are spaced about 1/4 of an inch apart both ways.
- At the top left is squid scored on a slant with the blade of the knife making a 20° angle both ways and with the cuts spaced 1/4-inch apart.
- At the bottom right is squid scored on a slant with the blade of the knife making a 20° angle both ways. The cuts are spaced 1/4-inch apart one way and 1/2-inch apart the other way.
- At the top right is squid scored on a slant with the blade of the knife making a 40° angle one way and 90° angle the other way? The cuts are spaced 1/2-inch apart both ways.
Procedure for the Crispy Pancetta
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. In batches, add pancetta and cook until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and let drain briefly. Serve.
Procedure for the Cumin Infused Tomato Broth
- Gently fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft. Turn up the heat and add tomatoes, carrot, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, stock powder, turmeric and 800 ml. water to the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and purée using a wand blender.