Champagne Raspberry Shooter
Recipe courtesy of Marcos Gonzalez, Pastry Chef, JW Marriott San Antonio
- Ingredients for Cake Sponge
- eggs - 14, separated in two different bowls of yolks and egg whites
- granulated sugar - 12.5 oz.
- all-purpose flour - 12.5 oz., sifted
- zest of an orange - 1 ea.
- Ingredients for Custard Cream
- egg yolks - 6 ea.
- whole milk - 2 cups
- granulated sugar - 2/3 cups
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp.
- salt - pinch
- all-purpose flour - ½ cup
- fresh raspberries - 2 pints
- champagne - 1 bottle
Procedure for Cake Sponge
- In a mixer with a whisk attachment, start by whipping the egg yolks. Slowly add half the amount of sugar until it thickens and creates a ribbon. Set aside in a bowl.
- Then whip the egg whites, slowly adding the remaining half of granulated sugar and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- Slowly fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. fold in orange zest, fold in sifted flour.
- Prepare a half sheet baking mold with parchment paper and nonstick spray. Pour cake mixture into mold and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the cake sets and golden color is achieved. It will take approximately 18 minutes.
- Chill cake and use a round cutter to cut out circles to fit into your mason jars. Place cake circles on the bottom of jars.
- Open the Champagne, and soak the cake circles to taste, making sure the champagne covers half the thickness of the cakes inside the mason jars.
Procedure for Custard Cream
- To make the custard, place the milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and flour. Once the milk has boiled, pour it slowly into the egg yolk mixture and whisk together.
- Bring mixture back into the saucepan, and cook it on medium heat until it thickens and becomes like pudding. Once texture has been achieved, pour on top of the cake, halfway up the mason jars. Chill.
- In a bowl, gently toss the fresh raspberries in champagne and place on top of custard.
- Add sweetened whipping cream on top of raspberries if desired, and serve.