Winter Squash Vichyssoise With Spiced Squash Seeds, Candied Almonds, Orange and Rosemary Oil
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Daniels, Executive Chef of Fiddlesticks Country Club (Fort Myers, Fla.)
- Ingredients for Vichyssoise
- butternut squash - 2 ea., medium dice, seeds removed and set aside; peelings set aside for stock (Chef's note: Can substitute acorn or kurabata squash.)
- leeks - 2 ea., bottoms only, rough chopped and washed, tops saved for stock
- unsalted butter - 4 oz.
- zest of orange - 2 ea.
- juice of orange - 1 ea.
- squash stock - 2 qt.
- heavy cream - 1 qt.
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Ingredients for Squash Seeds
- seeds from squash - 2 ea., rinsed with cold water and set aside to dry
- chili powder - 1 Tbsp.
- cumin - 1/4 Tbsp.
- cayenne - 1/4 tsp.
- smoked paprika - 1/2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Candied Almonds
- almonds - 1 cup
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- water - 1/3 cup
- cinnamon - 1 Tbsp.
- sea salt - 2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Rosemary Oil
- rosemary sprigs - 6 ea.
- olive oil - 1 cup
- Ingredients for Squash Stock
- peelings from squash as well as squash innards with seeds removed
- leek tops as well as any leek “scraps”
- thyme stems - 10 ea.
- rosemary stems - 3 ea.
- bay leaf - 2 ea.
- water - 4 qts.
Procedure for Vichyssoise
- In a medium soup pot, on medium heat, add in butter and melt.
- Once butter is melted, add in cleaned leek bottoms.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes to soften leeks to exude flavor, being careful not to turn brown.
- Add in squash and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in stock and cream and cook on a simmer until squash is fork tender.
- Transfer mixture in parts into a blender and puree smooth.
- Pass through fine sieve, season and chill. (Mixture will thicken as it cools, may be slightly thin when hot.)
Procedure for Squash Seeds:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together seeds and spices with 1 Tbsp. of salad oil.
- Set on lined sheet tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Procedure for Candied Almonds:
- In a small sauce pan, bring water, sugar and cinnamon to a boil.
- Add in almonds until liquid evaporates.
- Place on sheet tray, sprinkle with sea salt and cool at room temperature.
Procedure for Rosemary Oil:
- In a small sauce pan, place oil and rosemary together.
- Over medium heat, bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool, strain and set aside.
Procedure for Squash Stock:
- Sweat together squash pieces, leek, herbs and bay leaves.
- Sauté together for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in water.
- Bring to a slow boil, and set heat on medium.
- Steep for 1-3 hours.
- Remove from heat, strain, cool.
- Ladle soup into a bowl that is room temperature.
- Place seeds and almonds on top of soup.
- Drizzle rosemary.
- Zest a pinch of orange on top
- Garnish with chive (optional).