Honey-Glazed Short Ribs
Recipe courtesy of Andi Van Willigan, Executive Chef, Bel-Air Country Club, Los Angeles, Calif.
- braised short ribs - 150 grams (see recipe below; press and cut into 2 cm cubes)
- For Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- short ribs - 20 lbs., chuck flap
- red wine - 10 qts.
- glace - 2 qts.
- tomato paste - 4 Tbsps.
- onions - 3 each, large diced
- carrots - 4 each, large diced
- celery - 4 pieces, large diced
- thyme - 1 bushel
- bay leaves - 4 each
- black peppercorns - 3 Tbsps.
- For Sauce
- hoisin sauce - 50 ml
- honey - 50 ml
- vinegar - 25 ml
- For Dish
- pomegranate - 10 g.
- mix roasted sesame seeds - 2 g.
- cilantro leaves - 2 g.
- spring onion - 1 g.
- pommels - 10 g.
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
For Red Wine Braised Short Ribs:
- Sear meat in pans.
- Caramelize the vegetables and tomato paste in same pans.
- De-glaze with red wine and then add to short ribs in hotel pan.
- Add other ingredients and cover with foil; cook at 250°F in oven overnight.
- Check for tenderness and bring to room temperature in liquid.
- Remove and press, then portion the next day.
- Prep the sauce (honey + vinegar + hoisin).
- Deep-fry the cubes of braised short ribs until cripsy.
- Season with salt and mix with honey sauce.
- Put on plate and add toppings on the beef.