Fresh Grouper with Sweet Savory Corn Pudding, Oyster Mushroom Vinaigrette and Petite Greens
Recipe courtesy of Thomas Pepka, Executive Chef, Illini Country Club, Springfield, Ill.
- For Grouper
- fresh grouper - 4, 6-oz. portions
- clarified butter - 2 ozs.
- fresh thyme - 10 sprigs
- grape tomatoes - 20, halved
- For corn pudding
- vegetable stock - 2 cups
- ears of corn - 6, shucked, kernels off
- butter - 2 Tbsps.
- crème fraiche - 1 Tbsps.
- For oyster mushroom vinaigrette
- oyster mushrooms - 2 cups, sliced
- extra virgin olive oil - 2.5 ozs.
- salt and white pepper - to taste
- thyme leaves - 2 sprigs, picked
- garlic - 1 clove, minced
- shallot - 1, minced
- sherry vinegar - 1 oz.
- honey - .5 oz.
- For Petite Greens
- spring mix - 2 cups
- basil oil - 2 ozs.
- For grouper: Pan-sear grouper in butter; add grape tomatoes and thyme sprigs. Finish in oven until cooked through. Make sure tomatoes are well-blistered.
- For corn pudding: Puree stock and corn in a blender; strain and pour into double boiler, and let thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook to desired consistency. Stir in butter and crème fraiche. Keep warm.
- For oyster mushroom vinaigrette: Heat a pan and add olive oil, mushrooms and salt and pepper until mushrooms are wilted. Add thyme, garlic and shallot, and sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat; add sherry vinegar and honey. Adjust salt and pepper. The vinaigrette can be stored for one week.
- Final assembly: Place corn pudding in the bottom of a bowl; add blistered tomatoes. Top with grouper fillet, 2 tbsp. oyster mushroom vinaigrette and spring mix. Drizzle with basil oil.