Recipe courtesy of Sean Dwyer, Pastry Chef, Hamilton Harbor Yacht Club, Naples, Fla.
- For Green Apple Mousse
- green apple puree - 475 gr.
- powdered sugar - 110 gr.
- silver gelatin - 6 sheets
- heavy cream - 475 gr., whipped soft peaks
- For Apple Filling Insert
- green apples - 2 cups, small dice
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- cinnamon stick - 1 ea.
- vanilla bean - 1 ea.
- nutmeg - 1 tsp.
- For Red Glaze
- water - 125 gr.
- sugar - 225 gr.
- glucose syrup - 225 gr.
- silver gelatin sheets - 23 gr.
- white chocolate - 225 gr.
- condensed milk - 160 gr.
- crystal neutral glaze - 90 gr.
- red food color - as needed
- For Almond Soil
- unsalted butter - 525 gr., cold, diced
- brown sugar - 600 gr.
- all purpose flour - 600 gr.
- cocoa powder (brute - 100 gr.
- ground almonds - 270 gr.
- salt - 6 gr.
- For Twigs and Stem
- semisweet chocolate - tempered
- For Green Apple Mousse: Soak gelatin in ice water until soften about 10-15 mins, then squeeze out the excess water and set aside. Bring puree to a simmer. Whisk in powdered sugar and bring to a boil whisking consistently. Mix the gelatin with the hot apple puree until completely dissolved. Strain apple mix into hotel pan and cover with plastic. Leave out at room until 85°-90°F. Fold into soft peak cream. Mold immediately.
- For Apple Filling Insert: Combine in a pot and bring up to a simmer. Cook until golden brown about 10 mins on the stove. Remove from the stove and cool completely in the fridge. Put into mold and freeze overnight.
- For Red Glaze: Soak gelatin in ice water until soften, about 10-15 mins, then squeeze out the excess water and set aside. Bring water, glucose and sugar to a boil. Mix gelatin in the hot water mixture until dissolved. Strain over white chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Stir in condensed milk and crystal glaze. Add red color and process with a hand blender. Cover with plastic wrap and cool at room temperature until 90° to 95° F.
- For Almond Soil: Combine in a mixing bowl. Mix with a paddle on low speed until all ingredients become crumble consistently about 5-10 mins. Bake on a sheet tray 350 degrees f until toasted about 10-15 mins. Cool completely grind in a food processor until soil consistently.
- For Twigs and Stem: For the twigs, pipe temped chocolate over ice water in a hotel pan. Remove from water when set and put into cooler. Sift cocoa powder on top of the trigs. For the stem pipe chocolate on parchment paper set and completely. Remove from parchment with a small pallet spatula.
- To assemble: Put green apple mousse into mold filling it 4/5 the way to the top. Place frozen apple insert into the center of the apple mousse filled mold. Pipe mousse on top of apple insert and smooth the top with a pallet spatula. Freeze completely and unmold. Glaze apple over a grate in a hotel pan to collect the excess glaze. Spoon crumble around the apple. Place twigs and stem around and on top of dessert.