Recipe courtesy of Carolyn King, Executive Chef, Edgartown (Mass.) Yacht Club
- For Rouille
- garlic cloves - 3, made into a paste using the back of a knife
- saffron cream - 3/4 cup
- egg yolks - 2
- salt - 1/2 tsp.
- blend oil - 1 cup
- For Bouillabaisse Broth:
- carrots - 2, chopped into 1" pieces
- onions - 2 chopped into 1" pieces
- celery - 1 head, chopped into 1" pieces
- leek tops - 2 bunches, chopped into 1" pieces
- bulbs fennel - 2, chopped into 1" pieces
- saffron - as needed
- cayenne - as needed
- pastis - 1 cup
- white wine - 1 qt.
- pomi tomato - 2 cartons
- water - 2 gal.
- assorted fish bones/heads - 5 lbs., rinsed clean of blood
- salt - as needed
- pepper - as needed
- For Saffron Cream
- Yukon potatoes - 2, peeled
- cream - 2 cups
- saffron - pinch
- For Bouillabaisse
- 3-oz. local fish fillets - 12
- bouillabaisse broth - 1 pint
- cleaned mussels - 1 lb.
- white wine - 4 ozs.
- 1.5 lb. lobsters - 3 ea.
- 10/20 scallops - 1 lb., par-cooked and out of shell
- saffron potato balls - 4 ozs., poached in salted saffron water
- peeled tomatoes - 6 ea.
- cauliflower florets - 4 ozs., blanched
- asparagus - 1 bunch, cut and blanched
- baguette slices - 6, toasted
- rouille - 2 ozs.
- fennel fronds - as needed
- extra virgin olive oil - as needed
- For Rouille: Combine first 4 ingredients. Whisk in oil. Season with saffron, salt, cayenne, chili powder.
- For Bouillabaisse Broth: Sweat vegetables in oil, add heavy pinch of saffron and ½ tsp. cayenne. Add pastis and white wine, flambé. Add pomi tomato, water, salt and pepper. Simmer 1 hour with fish, season with more salt/pepper, pastis, saffron as needed. Pass through ricer. (Yes, even fish bones.) Strain through fine chinois. Season.
- For Saffron Cream: Simmer until tender and purée in blender until completely smooth. Reserve for use in rouille.
- For Bouillabaisse: Season and sear the fish fillets gently; add fish broth. Add mussels and white wine. Cover and steam until mussels open. Add lobster, scallops, saffron potato balls, peeled tomato, cauliflower and asparagus.Finish cooking the fish and warming the vegetables in the sauce. Carefully plate the fish, vegetables and broth between 6 bowls. Spread rouille on a lightly grilled crostini and serve on the side. Finish the dish with extra virgin olive oil and fennel fronds.