- Yield: 4 servings
Tuna Avocado Salad with Tempura-Batter Yam and Sesame Dressing
Recipe courtesy of Michael Couzelis, Executive Chef, The Arbutus Club, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- albacore tuna loins - 16-20 ozs.
- fresh spinich leaves - 10 oz. pkg (cleaned, stems removed)
- avocado - 1, ripe
- For Tempura-Batter Yam
- large yam - 1 (peeled and sliced)
- flour - 1/4 cup
- rice flour - 1/4 cup
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp.
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- egg yolk - 1
- ice-cold water - 1/3 cup
- oil - for deep frying
- For Sesame Dressing
- rice vinegar - 1/3 cup
- soy sauce - 2 1/2 Tbsps.
- packed light brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- fresh ginger - 1/2 tsp., grated
- Asian chili-garlic paste - 3 tsps.
- sesame oil - 1 Tbsp.
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- sesame seeds - 3 tsps.
- On a sterilized cutting board, cut the tuna into ¾-inch pieces, removing any sinew from meat. Cover in a bowl and refrigerate.
- In a medium-size pot, bring a small amount of water to boil and add spinach. Allow to wilt iust slightly, and remove from heat. Cool quickly in cold water or ice water. Strain water out and squeeze excess water from spinach. Set aside.
- Halve the avocado; remove pit and, using a soupspoon, gently scoop flesh from skin; transfer to cutting board and cut in quarters, then cut into fans by leaving top attached and cutting strips in to avocado.
For Tempura-Batter Yam:
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg slightly and mix with ice water. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir only once. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- In a large saucepan over moderate heat, heat at least four inches of oil until thermometer registers 350ºF.
- Dip yam slices in batter and fry until golden brown. Drain onto paper towels.
For Sesame Dressing:
- In a blender, blend vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, chili-garlic paste, sugar, oils and 2 tsp. of the sesame seeds. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks.)
- Divide the cooked spinach into the bottom of four bowls.
- Mix a small amount of the dressing into the tuna and mix until all is slightly coated.
- Place even amounts of tuna on top of spinach in bowls. Add a little more dressing in each bowl, then top with sesame seeds, avocado fan and two pieces of warm tempura yam
- Serve immediately.