- Yield: 50-75 servings
Seared Atlantic Salmon with Sun Chokes, Fingerling Potatoes, Onions, Olives, Baby Kale and Walnut Romesco
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Cavanaugh, Executive Chef, Carmel Country Club, Charlotte, N.C.
- Atlantic salmon - 25 lbs., cut into 3-oz. pieces
- sun chokes - 5 lbs.
- fingerlings potatoes - 7 lbs.
- pitted Kalamata olives - 2.5 lbs.
- cipollini onions - 5 lbs.
- baby kale - 2 lbs.
- whole red bell peppers - 6
- garlic cloves - 20
- whole shallots - 2
- whole Roma tomatoes - 40
- regular onions - 2, peeled and halved
- walnuts - 1 cup
- basil - 1/2 cup
- red wine vinegar - 1/4 cup (+ vinegar for seasoning vegetables)
- olive oil - 1/4 cup (+ oil for cooking and tossing with kale salad)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
For Romesco Sauce:
- Toss red peppers, tomatoes, garlic, shallots and regular onions in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables in a 450-degree oven until heavily charred.
- Remove from oven; remove seeds from bell peppers.
- Puree the vegetables in a Robot Coupe.
- Place vegetables in a rondeau with basil, walnuts and red wine; cook down until thick.
- Puree vegetable mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Season with more red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Hold warm until ready to plate.
For the vegetables:
- Peel sun chokes, cut fingerling potatoes and olives in half-length; peel cipollini onions.
- Blanch sun chokes and fingerling potatoes in heavily salted water until tender, shock in ice bath.
- Add some olive oil into a heated skillet; add cipollini onions and cook until golden brown and tender.
- Add blanched vegetables and olives to the finished onions. Sauté lightly with olive oil until warm, season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, toss baby kale with olive oil, salt and pepper.
For the salmon:
- Season and sear the 3-oz. pieces of salmon. Finish in the oven until desired doneness, then allow to rest.
- Spread the Romesco sauce in the bottom of a 2-in. hotel pan.
- Shingle the salmon portions on each side of the pan, leaving room in center for the garnish.
- Place the vegetable hash in between the two rows of salmon.
- Garnish with baby kale salad.