Recipe courtesy of Michael Ponzio, Executive Chef, Union League Club of Chicago
- For Hummus
- fresh artichoke hearts - 3/4 lbs.
- extra virgin olive oil - 3 Tbsps.
- tahini - 1/2 cup
- lemon juice - 1/4 cup
- white wine - 1/4 cup
- ground cumin - 1/2 tsp.
- garlic cloves - 2 ea.
- kosher salt - 1 Tbsp.
- For Mint Salsa Verde
- mint leaves - 1/2 cup
- parsley leaves - 1/2 cup
- kosher salt - 1/4 tsp.
- lemon juice - 3 Tbsps.
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
- sunflower sprouts - 4
- baby basil - 8 pieces
- zaatar spiced pita - as needed
- local vegetables - as needed
- For Hummus: Lightly coat the artichokes with oil and a little salt and place in a 350°F oven until tender. Allow the artichokes to cool to room temperature and place them in a blender with the tahini, lemon juice, wine, cumin, garlic and salt. Begin to puree and emulsify the 3 Tbsp. of olive oil into the mix. Check for seasoning and reserve until service.
- For Mint Salsa Verde: In a food processor, gently pulse the mint, parsley, salt, lemon juice and olive oil until desired consistency. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- For Service: Place 6 fl. ozs. of artichoke hummus on the plate. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. of salsa verde over the hummus. Garnish the hummus with the sunflower sprouts and basil. Serve with pita and vegetables.