Recipe courtesy of Michael Stetka, CEC, Executive Chef, Roaring Fork Club (Basalt, Colo.)
- oil - .5 cup, olive blend
- bacon - 30 oz., small-dice
- yellow onion - 10 cups, small-dice
- celery - 2.5 cups, small-dice
- garlic - 7 Tbsp., clove, minced
- cremini mushroom - 5 cups, chopped
- egg - 7 ea., whole, beaten
- sour cream - 6 oz.
- tomato juice - 6 oz.
- whole milk - 6 oz.
- Colman's Dry Mustard - 3 Tbsp.
- kosher salt - 3 Tbsp.
- thyme - 1 Tbsp., dried
- Worcestershire - 1 Tbsp.
- black pepper - 1.5 tsp., ground
- Tabasco - 1 tsp.
- parsley - 1 cup, chopped
- ground beef - 10 lb., 80/20
- Panko breadcrumbs - 9 oz.
- Combine olive oil and diced bacon in a rondeau pan and partially render some of the fat out of the bacon.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic and mushrooms and sweat approximately 5 minutes until softened.
- Remove from heat and cool to room mixture.
- Purée vegetable mixture in Robot Coupe until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs progressively and add sour cream, tomato juice and milk in several parts.
- Add puréed vegetable mixture into egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk in remaining seasoning ingredients (not beef and breadcrumbs). Chill mixture to very cold.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle, combine chilled ground beef, chilled egg-vegetable mixture and breadcrumbs..
- Set mixer seed to slowest speed and mix ingredients together, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mixture should appear to have strands of meat fibers and be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Pack mixture into an oiled 400 pan about 3.5 inches deep. Bake at 375°F approximately 1.5 hours to an internal temperature of 140°F.
- Remove from oven. Cover with a 200 pan weighted down with 2 #10 cans.
- Press and chill overnight before portioning into 2.7-inch cubes weighing approximately 8 oz. each (using square cutter).