Classic Key Lime
Recipe courtesy of Emilia Tomaszycki, Executive Pastry Chef, Bonita Bay Club (Bonita Springs, Fla.)
- Ingredients for the Graham Cracker Crust
- graham cracker crumbs - 355 gms.
- melted butter - 210 gms.
- sugar - 70g gms.
- all-purpose flour - 35 gms.
- Ingredients for the Key Lime Filling
- sweetened condensed milk - 100 oz.
- freshly squeezed lime juice - 20 oz.
- pasteurized yolks - 16 oz.
- Ingredients for the Mango Gelee (for Guitar Cutter)
- mango puree - 300 gms.
- sugar - 50 gms.
- agar - 4 gms.
- gelatin - 10 gms.
- water for gelatin - 50 gms.
- Ingredients for the Meringue
- egg whites - 100 gms.
- sugar - 150 gms.
- Ingredients for the Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream
- sugar - 192 gms.
- heavy cream - 960 gms.
- vanilla paste - 30 gms.
Procedure for the Graham Cracker Crust
- Melt butter.
- Mix dry ingredients together and add in butter.
- Press into molds.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
Procedure for the Key Lime Filling
- In a 20-quart mixer, mix together the yolks and milk on speed 1 using a whisk.
- Very slowly add in your juice. You do not want to have puddles of juice in your mixture while you’re adding it in.
- Do not mix over speed one. You do not want to incorporate air into this mix.
- Pipe onto toasted crusts and bake at 300° until set. When touched, finger should be clean.
Procedure for the Mango Gelee (for Guitar Cutter)
- Bloom gelatin. Set aside.
- Combine puree, sugar and agar together in pot and boil.
- Off the heat, add gelatin.
- Cast into frames and chill until completely set.
- Cut in guitar cutter to desired size.
- Keep wrapped in refrigerator until ready to use.
Procedure for the Meringue (Swiss Meringue Method)
- Whip until stiff.
- Spread onto silpat and dehydrate at 105° for 48 hours until dry.
- Break into large shards.
- Reserve with dry sec packets.
Procedure for the Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream
- Whip heavy cream to light peaks.
- Slowly add in sugar and vanilla bean paste.
- Continue to whip to medium peaks.
- Place the key lime pie in the middle of the plate.
- Using a #808 round tip, pipe three large dollops of vanilla bean Chantilly on top in a triangle.
- Place 3 large raspberries in between each dollop pointing inwards so that the hole is facing outwards.
- Break off 3 large pieces of meringue and attach to the Chantilly cream.
- Zest lime over top.
- Place a viola or any edible flower you would like for additional color in between two of the meringue shards.
- Place 5 pieces of mango cubes symmetrically around the key lime.