Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Burger
Recipe courtesy of Ron Letwinski, Chef de Cuisine, Orchard Lake CC, West Bloomfield Township, Mich.
- unsalted butter - 8 Tbsps.
- garlic cloves - 2, minced
- lemon juice - 2 Tbsps.
- parsley - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- salt - to taste
- butter - to taste
- unsalted butter - 1 Tbsp.
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- Vidalia onions - 1 1/2 lbs., sliced 1/8 inch thick
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- beef stock - 4 Tbsps.
- Wagyu beef - 2 lbs., ground chuck
- shitake mushrooms - 4 ozs., chopped and sautéed
- cremini mushrooms - 4 ozs., chopped and sautéed
- brioche buns - 5 whole
- lettuce - as needed
- tomato slices - as needed
- gruyere - as needed
- swiss cheese - as needed
- parmesan cheese - as needed
- Combine butter, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth. Reserve.
- Heat a 12” sauté pan over medium-low heat. Melt olive oil and butter in pan. Add onions, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Sauté until caramelized. Deglaze with the beef stock. Cool.
- FOR BURGER PATTIES: In a large bowl, combine ground chuck, cooled mushrooms, salt, pepper, and a quarter of the cooled caramelized onions. Mix well, handling the meat as little as possible. Divide the mixture into five 8-oz. portions, shaping into patties. Pre-heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers on a griddle or skillet, turning once, until done to preference. Finish with a dollop of the garlic butter.
- To assemble: Place a beef patty on each bottom roll. Top with 1/3 of the remaining caramelized onions. Place the top half of the bun next to the burger, cut-side up with the lettuce and tomato. Place equal parts of swiss, gruyere and shredded parmesan in a personal raclette cheese-melter. Pour the cheese over the burger and onions tableside for presentation.