Deviled Eggs with Chorizo
Recipe and photo courtesy of Kevin Grafton, Executive Chef, Cowboys Golf Club, Dallas, Texas.
- Chorizo sausage - 2 lbs.
- yellow onion - 3 lbs., julienned
- olive oil - 2 fl. ozs.
- sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- accent - 1/2 oz.
- ground black pepper - 1/4 oz.
- smoked paprika - 1/4 oz.
- ground chipotle pepper - 1/4 oz.
- kosher salt - 1/4 oz.
- eggs - 60
- dijon mustard - 1/2 cup
- sour cream - 1 1/4 cups
- mayonnaise - 1 1/4 cups
- italian parsley - 1/2 bunch, minced
- ground black pepepr - 1 tsp.
- accent - 1/4 oz.
- micro mixed greens - 0.1 oz.
- maldon sea salt - 0.01 oz.
- For Chorizo Onion Jelly: Cook chorizo and onions; drain grease. Add sugar and cook on low until sugar is dissolved and color is a rich dark brown (approximately 45 minutes). Add seasonings and pour on a ½-sheet tray to cool. Save for service. Warm slightly before using.
- For deviled eggs: Place eggs in water; heat to a boil. Once water is boiling, start 12-minute timer. Take pot off of the heat and run water and add ice. Peel eggs and cut eggs in half and remove yolks. Mix Dijon mustard, sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, seasoning. Puree yolks in a food processor. Slowly add Dijon mix until a thick consistency is reached. (Depending on size of eggs, all may not be needed). Place contents in pastry bag and hold for service.
- To serve: Place four small dollops on plate and smear. Place egg whites on top of smear. Fill eggs with mix. Top with warm jelly. Garnish with micro-greens and flake salt.