Prosciutto-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin With Leek Ash Mosaic
Recipe courtesy of Lance Cook, WCMC, MWMCS, CEC, CCA, CFBE, FMP, CFSM, Executive Chef of Hammock Dunes Club (Palm Coast, Fla.)
- Leek Ash
- leek tops - 5 ea., wash, pat dry
- TG (transglutaminase by volume) - 1:1 ratio
- Pork Mosaic
- pork tenderloin - 2 ea. (4 servings), trimmed of sinew and fat
- TG : leek ash mixture - as needed
- prosciutto - as needed, sliced thin
- kosher salt - to taste
- pure ground black pepper - to taste
- Molded Asparagus
- butter, unsalted - 1 Tbsp.
- shallot - 1 ea., minced
- garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- asparagus - 2 bunches, middle sections, cut into pieces (tops reserved)
- heavy cream, 36% - 1 pint
- agar agar - 1.5% (by weight)
- Apricot-Cherry-Brandy Glace
- canola oil - as needed
- shallot - 1 ea., minced
- brandy - 1/2 cup
- purée of apricots, cherries, port (equal parts) - 1/2 cup
- demi-glace - 1/2 cup
Procedure for leek ash:
- Place leek tops on sheet pan in one layer. Roast in 400°F oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Cook until crispy, dark and charred.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, break up and place in coffee grinder to pulverize. This will result in a very dark, earthy powder. Combine with transglutaminase (TG) at a 1:1 ratio (by volume). Reserve.
Procedure for pork tenderloin:
- 'Top and tail' tenderloin by cutting off the ends where it begins to taper, resulting in just the center of the loin.
- Round out the loin by trimming along the length to get as cylindrical as possible. Cut loin in half lengthwise and lay on its back.
- Cut those halves in half lengthwise and lay on their backs. Dust heavily with the leek ash and TG mixture all over the tenderloin.
- Season with kosher salt and pure ground black pepper.
- Put tenderloin in plastic wrap-lined pate terrine mold. Apply weight, refrigerate, allow TG to activate (3 hours).
- Slice prosciutto really thin and lay on plastic wrap, shingled with enough width to cover the length of the tenderloin.
- Remove tenderloin from plastic wrap and place tenderloin on the edge of the prosciutto and wrap tight. Once wrapped, cryovac and sous vide in water bath at desired doneness temperature (anywhere from 132-140°F) for 2 hours (depending on the size of the tenderloin).
- Remove from water bath, unwrap and pat dry. Sear loin in hot sauté pan with neutral oil until golden on all sides. Allow to rest, slice and serve.
Procedure for molded asparagus:
- Sweat shallots and garlic in butter until tender. Add asparagus and cream. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Purée in vita-prep until silky smooth. Season with kosher salt and pure ground white pepper. Pass through a chinois.
- Measure 250 grams of asparagus mixture and combine with 1.5% of agar (3.75 grams) and bring to a simmer for 1 minute.
- Strain again if desired. Allow mixture to cool for 3 minutes.
- Add chlorophyll if necessary to achieve brighter color. Pour into desired mold to set.
Procedure for apricot-cherry-brandy demi-glace:
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Cook shallots in oil until translucent and tender.
- Add brandy and flambé to remove alcohol. Reduce to sec (dry).
- Add fruit purée and reduce to sec (dry).
- Add demi-glace and reduce to nappe (coat the back of a spoon).
- Strain out shallots and season to taste.