Refined Southern Short Rib Raviolo
Recipe courtesy of Samuel Brod, Executive Chef of The Landings Golf & Athletic Club (Savannah, Ga.)
- Pasta Dough
- all-purpose flour - 1.5 lb.
- high-gluten flour - 1.5 lb.
- egg yolks - 20 ea.
- whole eggs - 8 ea., large
- whole milk - 1 Tbsp.
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 tsp.
- sea salt - 1 Tbsp., fine
- Braised Short Rib
- bone-in short rib - 5 lb.
- mirepoix - 1 lb.
- loose sachet (thyme, peppercorns, parsley stems, mushroom trimmings, bay leaves) - 1 ea.
- Cabernet Sauvignon - 1 bottle
- tomato paste - .25 cup
- rich brown veal stock/reduced demi-glace - 1 gms.
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- -8 ice wine vinegar - to taste
- mascarpone cheese - 1 lb.
- brunoise mirepoix (sweated lightly and reserved) - 2 cups
- whole butter - 2 oz.
- thyme - .25 cups, loosely chopped
- Parsnip Silken
- parsnip - 1.5 lb, peeled and diced large
- whole butter - 1 lb.
- lemon - 1 ea., juiced
- salt - to taste
- white pepper - to taste
- carrot juice - 16 oz.
- cider vinegar - .5 oz.
- kosher salt - 1 tsp.
- soy lecithin - 4.7 gms.
- Beet Pickled Shallot
- shallot - 2 ea., large, peeled whole, sliced into rings and separated
- reduced beet juice - .25 cup
- white balsamic vinegar - 1 cup
- sugar - .5 cup
- water - .5 cup
- yellow mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
- ginger - .25 oz., rough julienne
Procedure for pasta dough method and raviolo:
- Straight mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Once combined, remove and knead by hand until dough has come together.
- Cover dough and rest for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into appropriately sizes (approx. 3-4 pieces).
- Shape dough into rectangles that will fit into pasta roller. Roll out dough until desired thickness is reached.
- Lay out a single sheet of dough and leave enough of the sheet to cover raviolo base.
- Arrange raviolo filling on sheet, ensure proper spacing. Very lighty egg wash or brush base dough with water.
- Fold top sheet of dough over base that has the filling. Use a ravioli press or round cutter to seal the dough. By hand, gently work the air out of the raviolo. Reserve for cooking.
- Bring salted water to simmer, drop raviolo into water and cook for 1 minute or until done. Remove raviolo from water and lightly toss in shallot beurre monte.
Procedure for braised short rib ragout filling:
- Season and pan-sear bone in short rib.
- Remove short rib from braising pan and lightly brown mirepoix. Add tomato paste and lightly pince. Add loose sachet, deglaze with cabernet, add all demi-glace, return short rib to braising liquid, and lightly simmer covered in oven or on range for 3-4 hours.
- Remove short rib from braising liquid. Remove bone and discard. Reserve short rib meat. Strain braising liquid and gently reduce to 1/2-1/3rd volume, reserve. Once short rib meat is cool, pull and reserve.
- In a large skillet, gently sweat brunoise mirepoix in whole butter, add pulled short meat and gently work together with mirepoix. Remove from skillet and place in a large mixing bowl. Add mascarpone, cup of reserved reduced braising liquid and thyme. Gently fold all ingredients together, finish with -8 ice wine vinegar and season if needed. Cool and reserve filling for raviolo.
Procedure for parsnip silken:
- In an appropriate sauce pot, gently melt whole butter. Once melted, add parsnip and cover. Cook over very low heat until parsnip is thoroughly cooked.
- Place cooked parsnip and melted butter (from cooking process) into a Vitamix, process until smooth, season with salt and white pepper, add lemon juice, and hold hot or reserve for later use.
Procedure for carrot "air":
- Place all ingredients into Vitamix and blend thoroughly. Let stand covered in cooler for 12-24 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, process the liquid until bubbles form, skim off the bubble's a la minute for garnish.
Procedure for pickled shallot:
- Place all ingredients except the shallots into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer until all the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Place shallot "rings" into an appropriate non-reactive vessel. Pour pickling liquid over the shallots and fully cover. Chill and place into cooler. Let shallots rest for 4 hours minimum. Shallots are now ready for use.
- Select shallow pasta bowl. Arrange the parsnip silken in the center, place cooked and glazed ravioli in the center of silken, garnish with carrot air, micro vegetables and pickled shallots.
- Serve at once.