Pomegranate Glazed Duck in Scallion Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of Michael Matarazzo, CEC, Executive Chef, Farmington Country Club
- Ingredients for Pomegranate Glazed Duck:
- For the Dip:
- balsamic vinegar - 50 ozs.
- soy sauce - 50 ozs.
- pomegranate molasses - 12 ozs.
- water - 2 gal.
- whole duck - 4 ea.
- For the Glaze:
- soy sauce - 2 cups
- hoisin sauce - 3 cups
- pomegranate juice - 2 cups
- Ingredients for Scallion Pancake:
- AP flour - 252 gms.
- sugar - 28 gms.
- kosher salt - pinch
- eggs, beaten - 4 ea.
- milk - 560 gms.
- scallions - 1 bunch, finely minced
- butter - as needed
Procedure for Pomegranate Glazed Duck:
- For the dip: Combine the first five dip ingredients in a tall narrow pot and bring to a full boil. Be careful not to boil over.
- Truss duck.
- Dip each duck into the boiling mixture three times, holding each duck in the mixture for a full 20 seconds each time. Be sure to allow the mixture to return to a full boil before each dip.
- Hang the dipped ducks in the walk-in for 48 hours, brushing every hour with the glaze.
For the Glaze:
- Combine all ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
- Reserve the needed amount of glaze for the station before brushing the ducks and contaminating the whole batch.
For the Duck:
- Cook the whole, glazed ducks on a roasting rack in a 250°F oven until an internal temperature of 155°F is reached.
Chef’s Note: If ducks start to get too dark before the desired internal temperature, cover them with foil and continue cooking.
Procedure for Scallion Pancake:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs to the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk to make a smooth batter.
- Fold in the minced scallion.
- Allow to rest for one hour in a cool place.
- Prepare pancakes by pouring small amount of dough on a buttered surface. Flip. Reserve.
- Place a small amount of pulled duck inside each scallion pancake. Wrap the pancake around the ducks. Serve.