Butter-Poached Lobster and Orange Tomato Bisque
Recipe courtesy of Eduardo Castillo, CEC, Executive Chef, San Antonio Country Club
- Ingredients for the Bisque:
- butter - 1/4 lb.
- large yellow onion - 1 ea., chopped
- chopped celery ribs - 3 ea.
- #10 can of plum tomatoes - 1
- tomato juice - 1 pt.
- fresh orange juice - 1 pt.
- orange zest - 1 ea.
- heavy cream - 1 qt.
- kosher salt - 1/4 cup
- granulated sugar - 1/2 cup
- ground white pepper - 1 tsp.
- Ingredients for the Lobster:
- live lobsters or frozen lobster tails - as needed
- white wine - 6 Tbsps.
- butter - 1 lb., room temperature
- thyme - 1 sprig
- dill - 1 sprig
Procedure for the Bisque:
- Melt the butter and sweat the onions and celery. When tender, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, then puree with the Vita-Prep blender until very smooth.
- Strain through a chinois and reserve.
Chef’s Note: This soup can be served hot or chilled.
Procedure for the lobster:
- If using live whole lobster, kill and clean the lobster. Remove all the meat. If using frozen lobster tails, defrost.
- Bring the wine and herbs to a simmer, and slowly emulsify the butter into the wine liquid. Keep the temperature below 180° F., to avoid breaking the sauce.
- Poach the lobster in the butter until done.
- Place the bisque in a shallow bowl; arrange the lobster on the plate and garnish as desired.