- Yield: 2 servings
Ocean Reef Club’s Maine Lobster Roll
Recipe courtesy of Philippe Reynaud, Senior Director Culinary Operations, Ocean Reef Club, Key Largo, Fla.
- For Poached Lobster
- Maine Lobster - 1 2lb. live
- onion - 1 small, peeled and coarsely diced
- celery ribs - 2 coarsely diced
- Old Bay seasoning - 2 Tbsps.
- kosher salt - 2 Tbsps.
- For Dressing
- mayonnaise - 2 Tbsps.
- celery - 2 Tbsps., finely diced (brunoise)
- fresh lemon juice - 1 tsp.
- old bay seasoning - 1 pinch
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Final Assembly
- New England hot dog buns - 2 top-split
- unsalted butter - 1 Tbsp., melted
For Poached Lobster:
- Fill a large pot with three gallons of water; add the diced onion, celery, Old Bay and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower fire to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Increase fire to a full rolling boil; immerse the lobster in the pot and cover immediately. Cook for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the cooked lobster to an ice bath to chill for five minutes. Drain.
- Twist off the lobster tails and claws, crack the shell and remove the meat. Slice the tail in half length-wise and remove and discard any intestinal parts.
- Cut the lobster meat into ½-inch pieces; pat dry, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until very cold—at least one hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, celery brunoise, lemon juice, Old Bay and chilled lobster; toss gently with a spoon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a nonstick skillet. Brush the sides of the hot dog buns with melted butter and toast over moderate heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer the buttered buns to plates. Fill with the lobster salad. Serve immediately.