Pork Loin Stuffed with Spinach and Mission Figs over Braised Cabbage Orange Balsamic and Carrot Puree
Recipe courtesy of Chuck Mahoney, CEC, Executive Chef, Eagle Creek Country Club, Naples, Fla.
- For Pork loin Stuffed with Spinach and Mission Figs
- boneless pork loin - 1, about 7lbs.
- chicken breast - 4 ozs.
- dried figs - 1 cup, diced
- spinach leaves - 12 ozs., cleaned
- garlic - 2 Tbsps., chopped
- shallots - 2 Tbsps., chopped
- fresh thyme - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- olive oil - 4 ozs.
- egg whites - 2
- heavy cream - 4 ozs.
- For Braised Cabbage Orange Balsamic
- Red Cabbage - 5 lbs., jullienne
- onions - 2 large, jullienne
- granulated sugar - 1 cup
- water - 4 ozs.
- balsamic vinegar - 1 cup
- orange juice - 2 cups
- corn starch - to thicken
- olive oil - to coat
- For Carrot Puree
- carrots - 2 lbs., halved lengthwise and cut into ½ inches pieces
- celery - 1/2 chopped
- Idaho Potato - 1 medium, chopped
- garlic - 1 Tbsp., chopped
- low-sodium chicken broth - 1 1/2 quarts
- salt - 1 Tsp.
- Heavy Cream - 1 quart
- unsalted butter - 1 Tbsp.
For Pork loin Stuffed with Spinach and Mission Figs:
- In a heated sauté pan, add olive oil, shallots and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add figs, cook until soft. Deglaze pan with port wine, reduce till about dry. Add 6 Oz spinach wilt. Cool mixture.
- Trim ends and excess fat off pork, cut center of loin about 6 lbs. Butterfly and pound out. Grind remaining pork and chicken through ½’ grind into mixing bowl. Add fig mixture, fresh thyme, egg white and cream. Mix together. Run thru grinder at ¼’ into a bowl. Mix more if needed.
- Season pork loin with salt & pepper, Add remaining uncooked spinach in a thin layer. Spread pork force meat evenly. Roll up and season without with olive oil, chopped thyme, salt & pepper.
- Cut pork loin into ½’ tie with butcher twine to retain shape. Place into Vacuum pack bag. Make sure product is completely cooled first.
- Cook at 65°C for minimum of 4 hours. This can be cooled and brought back up to temp for advanced cooking.
- Remove from packaging. Reserve drippings to make sauce of you preference. Sear Pork loin evenly and slice.
- Dissolve sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until caramelized. Add balsamic and reduce by 1/2 . Add orange juice, reduce by ½. Thicken with corn Starch to medium consistency.
- In heated Rondo pan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add cabbage, cover. Cook until soft. Add glaze and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. (NOTE: This product can be made ahead cooled and reheated in a vacuum bag until time of service at 85c for a minimum of 30 minutes.)
For Carrot Puree:
- Simmer carrots, potato, celery, garlic and salt in a 4 quarts heavy sauce pan, covered until carrots, potato and celery are very tender, 12-14 minutes. Add heavy cream and simmer for another 5 minutes. Puree mixture with butter in a food processor until smooth. (NOTE: Puree can be made 1 day in advance, and placed in vacuum pack bag reheated at 85c. for a minimum of 30 minutes.)