Beet and Goat Cheese Mousse
Recipe courtesy of Adam Minicucci, Executive Chef, The Country Club of North America, Pinehurst, N.C.
- golden beets - 1 lb.
- candied striped beets - 1 lb.
- heavy cream - 1 cup + 4 Tbsps.
- goat cheese - 10 ozs.
- baby arugula - 24 leaves
- baby pale frisse - 2 heads
- oranges - 4, segmented
- red onion - 1
- red wine vinegar - 1 qt.
- garlic powder - 1 Tbsp.
- fennel seed - 1 Tbsp.
- celery seed - 1 Tbsp.
- sugar - 1 Tbsp.
- candied pecans - 1/2 lb.
- orange juice - 2 cups
- lemon - 1, zested
- Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp.
- granulated garlic - 1 tsp.
- toasted cardamom - 1 Tbsp.
- olive oil - 2 cups
- Sous vide peeled beets in separate bags at 185°F for 1 hour.
For Goat Cheese Mousse
- Whip heavy cream to a stiff peak.
- Add goat cheese and a few tablespoons of heavy cream (not whipped) to the whipped cream.
- Fold together until mixture is soft and smooth.
For Pickled Red Onion
- Combine red wine vinegar, garlic powder, fennel seed, celery seed, sugar, salt and pepper to create the pickling brine.
- Submerge sliced red onion in brine mixture and refrigerate for 24 hours.
For Candied Pecans
- Boil pecans in simple syrup with cinnamon and vanilla for 45 minutes.
- Strain, then deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After frying toss pecans in a sugar-and-cinnamon mixture. Then bake at 325°F for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
For Citrus Cardamom Dressing
- Combine orange juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, garlic and cardamom into blender and mix on medium setting.
- Slowly incorporate olive oil to mixture until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.