Yuzu and Sesame-Crusted Ahi Tuna With Avocado, Multigrain Risotto, Shelling Beans, Hearts of Palm, Guava & Wakame Salad
Recipe courtesy of Arthur Pepe, Executive Chef, Brookfield Country Club (Clarence, N.Y.)
- Ingredients for the Tuna
- ahi tuna - 8 oz.
- dried yuzu - 1/4 cup
- nori - 1 Tbsp., pulverized
- chia seeds - 1/2 cup
- sesame seed - 1/4 cup
- black sesame seeds - 1/3 cup
- Ingredients for the Multigrain Risotto
- red wheat berries - 1/4 cup
- black barley - 1/4 cup
- purple barley - 1/4 cup
- red rice - 1/4 cup
- farro - 1/4 cup
- Ingredients for the Avocado Mousse
- avocados - 6 ea., ripe
- roasted garlic - 1/4 tsp.
- garlic oil - 1 Tbsp.
- lime juice - to consistency
- salt - to taste
- Ingredients for the Guava Emulsion
- guava purée - 1 qt., reduced to a glaze
- lemongrass - 1/8 inch, pounded
- Ingredients for the Hearts of Palm
- heart of palm rib - 1 ea.
- sesame oil - 1 tsp.
- fish fumet - 1/2 cup
- Ingredients for the Shelling Beans
- edamame beans - 1/4 cup
- cannellini beans - 1/3 cup
- fava beans - 1/4 cup
- chicken stock - 1/3 cup
- salt - to taste
Procedure for the Tuna
- Crust the tuna completely in the spice mix, and sear in a cast iron skillet for 20-30 seconds on each side. Allow to rest.
Procedure for the Risotto
- Cook the grains until tender on the palate in a little chicken stock and a smashed clove of garlic.
- When cooked, lay out on a sheet tray to cool. Do not rinse the starch off.
- On pick up, bring stock to a simmer and add your cooked rice and add stock until you have achieved the proper consistency.
- Finish with fresh cilantro and mint.
Procedure for the Shelling Beans
- Blanch and shock the edamame and the fava beans. Peel and reserve.
- Cook the cannellini beans by soaking for 24 hours and cooking them slowly in chicken stock with course cut mirepoix. Cook until tender, drain them but do not refresh them. Set aside.
- When all the beans are cooked and have cooled. Bring them up in a small sauté pan with stock and a touch of sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.