sous vide lobster with carrot silk, English pea puree, fondant potato, shrimp puff, crispy lotus root
Recipe courtesy of Brad Menhorn, Executive Chef of Druid Hills Golf Club
- English peas - 1/2 cup
- baby spinach - 6 leaves
- carrot - 1 ea.
- Idaho potato - 1 ea.
- chicken stock - 1 cup
- thyme - 3 sprigs
- bay leaf - 1 ea.
- veal glace - 4 oz.
- lobster tail - 1 ea., quarter lb.
- garlic - 1 tsp., minced
- tarragon - 1 sprig, fresh
- tapioca flour - 1 oz.
- shrimp - 1 oz., raw
- d'espelette - 1/2 tsp.
- unsalted butter - 1 lb. 1 tsp., room temperature
- salt - 6 tsp.
- coriander - 1 1/2 tsp., ground
Procedure for English Pea Purée:
- Blanch 1/2 cup of English peas for 30 seconds and soak in ice bath for 1 minute.
- Put in blender with baby spinach. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. While blending, add 1/8 lb. of room temperature butter. Blend until smooth.
Procedure for Carrot Silk:
- Peel and finely slice 1 carrot. Put in a sauce pot with 1/2 lb. of butter and simmer until soft.
- Strain butter from carrots and blend until smooth. Pass the carrot mixture through a tamis.
- Mix in 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. ground coriander.
Procedure for Fondant Potato:
- Take 1 ea. peeled Idaho potato and punch with a circle cutter about 2 inches thick and 2 inches in diameter. Put in sauce pot with chicken stock, 1/8 lb butter, 3 sprigs of thyme, 1 ea. bay leaf and simmer until you can stick a toothpick through the potato.
- Pull the potato out of sauce pot and pat dry. Sear the potato in a sauté pan until both sides are golden brown, then add veal glace and 1 tsp. butter to glaze the potato.
Procedure for Butter Poached Lobster:
- Take 1 ea. lobster tail, de-shell and clean.
- Place lobster in a cryovac bag with 1 sprig of tarragon, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. ground coriander. Seal the cryovac bag.
- Cook for 30 minutes with a circulator at 75°C.
Procedure for Shrimp Puff:
- Take 1 oz. of raw shrimp, 1 oz. of tapioca flour, 1/2 tsp of d'espelette and 1/2 tsp salt then blend until smooth.
- Cryovac shrimp mixture and roll with rolling pin as flat as possible about 1/2 inch thick.
- Boil hard for ten minutes and put into an ice bath. Once cool, cut into your desired shape.
- Dehydrate in an oven for 12 hours at 140°F. Freeze for at least 6 hours, then deep-fry.