hot smoked salmon, citrus cured, blue corn molido, nopalito salad
Recipe courtesy of Daniel Montano, CEC, Executive Chef, Forsyth Country Club (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- Cured Salmon
- salmon - 6 oz.
- lemon zest - 1 ea.
- lime zest - 1 ea.
- orange zest - 1 ea.
- kosher salt - 1 cup
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- Blue Corn Molido
- blue cornmeal - 1 cup
- hominy water - 5 cups
- cumin - 1 Tbsp.
- yellow onion - 1/2 ea., small chopped
- canola oil - 1/4 cup
- kosher salt - to taste
- ISI - 1 ea.
- N2O charges - 2 ea.
- Nopalito Salad (Cactus Salad)
- red cabbage - 1/4 cup, shaved
- hominy - 1/4 cup
- pumpkin seeds - 1 Tbsp.
- roasted garlic oil
- lime - 1 ea., juiced
- micro cilantro
Procedure for Cured Salmon:
- Combine zest, kosher salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl or food processor and mix until combined.
- Heavily crust salmon with citrus cure mix and allow to cure up to 4 hours.
- Roll salmon with plastic wrap to form a roulade shape (optional). In your Rational oven, set to full steam at 131o and sous vide for 1 hour. Chill completely and bring back up to temp in a Rational Combi oven at 350°F with a smoker system.
Procedure for Blue Corn Molido:
- Caramelize onions in a medium pot with canola oil. Once onions are caramelized, add cumin and stir well, Quickly, deglaze with hominy water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add cornmeal and stir well. Cook on medium heat until cornmeal is soft and rehydrated. Season with salt.
- Once cooked, strain through mesh or tamis. Check for consistency and add more hominy water until texture is slightly thicker than nappe. Pour into ISI and charge with N2O. Shake well and hold in a Rational oven on steam at 130o until ready to use.
Procedure for Nopalito Salad (Cactus Salad):
- In a small pot, bring 2 qts. of salted water to a boil. Add cactus and boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Strain water and allow cactus to chill in the cooler.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cactus, cabbage, hominy, pumpkin seeds. Season with roasted garlic oil, fresh lemon juice, and kosher salt.
- Garnish salmon with cactus salad and micro cilantro before plating.
- Place garnished salmon on the offset left side of plate.
- Shake ISI well and dispense blue corn molido on to the opposite side of salmon.
- Garnish blue corn molido with a sprinkle of Tajín seasoning.