Coconut Vanilla Chiffon Cake
Recipe courtesy of Travis Clements, A la Carte Sous Chef, Ansley Golf Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Coconut Vanilla Chiffon Cake
- cake flour - 235 gms.
- salt - 5 gms.
- baking powder - 12 gms.
- granulated sugar - 300 gms.
- eggs - 7 ea., yolk and white separated
- vanilla extract - 1 Tbsp.
- coconut extract - 1 Tbsp.
- cold water - 1/2 cup
- vegetable oil - 3/4 cup
- cream of tartar - 1/2 tsp.
- Strawberry Lemon Compote
- fresh strawberry - 960 gms.
- granulated sugar - 245 gms.
- fresh lemon juice - 3 Tbsp.
- salt - to taste
- Rum Glaze
- Myers's Rum (or dark rum of choice) - 4 Cups
- confectioners' sugar - 305 gms.
- fresh lemon juice - 1 tsp.
- salt - pinch
Procedure for Coconut Vanilla Chiffon Cake
- Sift together cake flour, salt, baking powder and granulated sugar.
- Separate egg whites and yolks.
- In a new bowl, combine the egg yolks with vanilla extract, coconut extract, cold water and vegetable oil.
- Take the egg whites and whip to stiff peaks with cream of tartar.
- Combine wet mixture gently into dry mixture.
- Once all incorporated, fold in the egg whites in three rounds, making sure no white streaks are left.
- Pour batter evenly into three round cake pans.
- Bake at 325° F half fan for 25-27 minutes or until done. (Chef's note: I used an Electrolux Combi Oven.)
Procedure for Strawberry Lemon Compote
- After cored, slice fresh strawberries about 1/4" thick to retain body while being cooked down.
- Gently cook strawberries, granulated sugar and fresh lemon juice together, medium- to low-flame/heat.
- Once reduced down to consistency, let cool.
- This compote yield gives enough for 2 layers and to serve as a garnish with each slice.
Procedure for Rum Glaze
- Reduced Myers' Rum (or dark rum of choice) down to a 1/4
- Let cool.
- Add in confectioners' sugar, fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- With cakes cooled, poke holes into tops of base layer and middle layers to soak into cake.
- Spread compote evenly across base and middle layer.
- Pour remaining glaze across top layer.
- Finish top layer with additional compote.