Sea Scallop With Saffron-Vanilla Sauce, Parsnip Prée, Blue Spirulina Glass Potato Chip
Recipe courtesy of Matt Maryjanowski, Executive Chef, Brook-Lea Country Club (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Parsnip Purée
- parsnips - 2 ea., peeled (about 5 ounces)
- heavy cream - 1 1/2 cups
- nutmeg - pinch, fresh grated
- kosher salt - pinch
- unsalted butter - 1 Tbsp.
- Saffron Vanilla Sauce
- vanilla bean - 1/2 ea., split
- seafood stock - 1 cup
- saffron threads - 1/2 tsp.
- heavy cream - 1 1/2 tsp.
- unsalted butter - 10 Tbsps., cubed
- Blue Spirulina Glass Chip
- blue spirulina water - 2 cups
- potato starch - 4 Tbsps.
- U10 sea scallops - 6 ea.
- fresh thyme - 1 sprig
- garlic - 1 clove, crushed
- unsalted butter - 2 Tbsps.
- cooking oil - 2 Tbsps.
Procedure for parsnip purée
- Slice peeled parsnips lengthwise in half, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Place cut parsnips in saucepan with 1.5 cups heavy cream, nutmeg and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes. Parsnips should be completely soft. Strain parsnips, reserving cream.
- Place parsnips in a blender, adding cream until smooth and silky texture.
Procedure for saffron vanilla sauce
- Scrap seeds from vanilla bean into small saucepan. Add the vanilla pod, 1 cup of seafood stock and saffron.
- Bring to simmer, then reduce to a glaze (1 to 1.5 tablespoons). Add heavy cream and simmer for a few more seconds.
- Over medium heat, whisk in the butter bit by bit. Strain through fine mesh strainer.
Procedure for blue spirulina glass chip
- Whisk potato starch to blue spirulina water in a sauce pot.
- Turn on medium-high heat and whisk until thick and gooey consistency. Remove from heat.
- Line sheet tray with Silpat. Spoon the mixture onto the Silpat into circles about a 1/4-inch thick and 2.5 inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 175°F. Place in oven to dehydrate chips for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Once chips are done dehydrating, they should be crispy. Remove from Silpat and deep-fry each chip in 300°F oil for a split second. This will enhance the clearness of the chip.
(Chef’s Note: If oil is too hot or you fry for too long, the chip will puff up.)
Procedure for scallop
- Bring sauté pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan with oil.
- Season scallop heavily with salt and pepper. Place in hot pan, allowing scallop to sear for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip scallop and add 1 sprig of fresh thyme, 1 crushed garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Spoon over scallop to baste until cooked to your preference.
- Spoon saffron vanilla sauce onto plate.
- Spoon parsnip purée in middle of saffron vanilla sauce.
- Place scallop on top of parsnip purée.
- Lean blue spirulina glass chip on scallop.
- Garnish with flowers and scallions.