Mediterranean Pimento Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Luke Livingston, Executive Chef, Indian Creek Country Club (Indian Creek Village, Fla.)
- mozzarella cheese - 1 cup, shredded
- Greek yogurt - 8 oz.
- feta cheese - 1/2 cup
- shallots - 1 tsp., minced
- chives - 1 tsp., chopped
- jalapeño pepper - 1 ea., seeded and minced
- pimento - 1/2 cup, diced
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Ingredients for Rice Cracker
- rice - 1 cup, uncooked
- canola oil - 4 cups
- smoked paprika - 1/2 tsp. (add more for a spicier cracker)
- salt - to taste
Procedure for Pimento Cheese
- Place mozzarella cheese, Greek yogurt, feta cheese, shallots, chives, jalapeño and pimento into a large bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Procedure for Rice Cracker
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Rinse rice in a strainer until water runs clear; drain well. Combine with four cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In food processor, puree rice until it's a paste-like consistency.
- On a baking sheet with a Silpat, spread a thin layer of the rice mixture. Place baking sheet in the oven for two hours.
- Heat oil in a sauce pot to medium/high heat.
- Break pieces of the dehydrated rice mixture into the oil. Rice mixture will puff up and get golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Season with smoked paprika and salt.