Chocolate Turtle Mousse With Oat Pecan Crust
Recipe courtesy of Laura Herman, Pastry Chef, Shoreacres (Lake Bluff, Ill.)
- Ingredients for Oat Pecan Crust
- pecan pieces - 348 gms.
- gluten-free oats - 201 gms.
- coconut oil - 225 gms., unmelted
- maple syrup - 3/4 cup
- baking powder - 1 Tbsp.
- kosher salt - 1 1/2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Pecan Praliné Crémeux
- whole milk - 155 gms.
- gelatin sheets - 9 gms.
- 50% Valrhona Pecan Praline - 1090 gms.
- heavy whipping cream - 545 gms.
- Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Mousse
- egg yolks - 120 gms.
- granulated sugar - 60 gms.
- heavy whipping cream - 60 gms.
- Valrhona Satillia 62% - 250 gms.
- heavy cream - 500 gms.
- Ingredients for Chocolate Caramel Sauce
- granulated sugar - 100 gms.
- heavy whipping cream - 3/4 cup
- Valrhona Satillia 62% - 85 gms.
- kosher salt - 1/8 tsp.
Procedure for Oat Pecan Crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In Robo Coupe, add pecans pieces and oats until mix is ground to a flour consistency.
- Pulse in additional ingredients until combined.
- In a lined, sprayed full sheet tray with pan extender, spread mix as thin as possible, covering the entire bottom.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- Set aside to cool completely.
Procedure for Pecan Praliné Crémeux
- Heat the milk and add the rehydrated gelatin.
- Pour a little of this mixture onto the praliné. It will separate. Emulsify in a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Stabilize the emulsion, gradually adding the chilled cream until smooth, glossy and elastic.
- Blend to perfect the emulsion.
- Pour mixture over crust. Use a spatula to level out mixture. Refrigerate to set.
Procedure for Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Melt chocolate and 60 gms. of heavy cream over water bath in a large bowl. Do not overheat. Keep warm. Using a 5-qt. mixing bowl over a water bath, thicken egg/sugar mixture until sugar dissolves.
- Once dissolved, attach whisk and whip on medium/high until thick and pale. Set aside.
- Whisk 500 gms. of heavy cream until soft whipped.
- While chocolate is still warm, fold in egg yolk mixture in stages, working quickly but delicately so you do not over-mix.
- Fold in heavy cream the same way, trying to not deflate the cream.
- Pour mousse over the crémeux using an offset spatula to smooth it out.
- Place in freezer for a few hours or overnight before scoring and cutting into your desired shape and size.
Procedure for Chocolate Caramel Sauce
- In a heavy-bottom pot, heat sugar until a golden caramel.
- Add heavy cream, and carefully combine. Take off heat.
- Pour caramel over chocolate and salt. Once chocolate is melted, stir to combine. Refrigerate.
- Once mousse is cut, use Velvet Cocoa Butter Spray Milk Chocolate to cover each serving.
- Top with chocolate garnish with gold leaf.
- Chocolate caramel sauce for plating.