Semolina Soufflé Cake With Pistachio Crème Anglaise and Tart Cherry Pinot Noir Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Steve Boutin, Executive Chef, Brooklawn Country Club (Fairfield, Conn.)
- Ingredients for Cake
- milk - 4 1/2 cups
- sugar - 1 1/2 cup
- semolina fine powder - 1 cup
- soft butter - 4 oz.
- eggs, beaten - 3 ea.
- eggs, separated - 9 ea.
- pure vanilla - 1 Tbsp.
- Ingredients for Crème Anglaise
- pistachios, toasted - 1 cup
- milk - 2 cups
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- salt - to taste
- yolks - 8 ea.
- almond extract - 1/2 tsp.
- Ingredients for Cherry Sauce
- dried tart cherries - 2 cups
- pinot noir - 2 cups
- sugar - 1/2 cup
Procedure for Cake
- Butter and flour 10-inch springform pan, and foil the outside of it.
- In a sauce pan, bring milk and 3/4 cup of sugar to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and whisk in semolina over low heat for two minutes.
- Stir in half of butter and and remaining sugar, then transfer to a bowl.
- Let cool, then stir in remaining butter, whole eggs and yolks and vanilla.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixer, beat whites until stiff. Fold in a third at a time, then pour into pan.
- Place in a roasting pan with water halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 mins or until center slightly jiggles.
- Place on a wire rack. Cool, cover and chill overnight.
- Run a knife around the pan. Cut and serve room temperature with the sauces.
Procedure for Anglaise
- Chop pistachio into a powder, and add with milk in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, strain, and put milk back into pan. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Whisk in rest of ingredients.
- Put back on stove at medium heat, and cook until it coats a spoon or 170 degrees, straining a bowl and chill over an ice bath.
Procedure for Cherry Sauce
- Combine all ingredients, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out cherries, and continue to simmer until sauce coats a spoon.
- Add back the cherries and chill.