Grilled Sumac Salmon with Butternut Squash Red Curry Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Diane Allen-Baines, Executive Chef, The Farms Golf Club, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
- For the Curry Sauce
- butternut squash - 1 1/2lbs., cut in half with seeds removed
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- yellow onion - 3/4 cup, julienne
- garlic - 1/2 tsp., chopped
- ginger - 2 tsps., chopped
- lemongrass - 1 tsp., chopped
- red curry paste - 1 Tbsp.
- vegetable stock - 3 cups
- cocounut milk - 1 cup
- kaffir lime leaves - 3
- palm sugar - 1 Tbsp., grated
- To prepare the entrée
- 6-oz. salmon filets - 6
- extra virgin olive oil - for brushing fish
- sumac spice - 2 Tbsps.
- roasted red beets - 2, sliced thin
- baby red carrots - 6
- asparagus tips - 18
- baby Brussels sprouts - 12
- baby nasturtiums - for garnish
For Curry Sauce:
- Bake squash until tender; cool and remove skin.
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add onions; cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass; cook until aromatic.
- Add red curry paste; cook until aromatic.
- Add stock, lime leaves and coconut milk; bring to a simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Season with lime juice and palm sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove lime leaves.
- Puree in blender; strain through a china cap.
To prepare the entrée:
- Brush salmon with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sumac spice.
- Grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side, to desired doneness.
- Spoon sauce on bottom of plate; top with roasted-beet rounds, slightly fanned out.
- Place salmon on top of beets; arrange vegetables around the fish.
- Garnish with baby nasturtiums.