- Yield: 4 servings
Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Baby Bok Choy, Carrots, Mushrooms, Miso Broth and Crispy Noodles
Recipe courtesy of Ryan Cavanaugh, Executive Chef, Carmel Country Club, Charlotte, N.C.
- For Mise En Place
- mahi mahi - 4 to 6oz. pieces, skinless
- baby bok choy - 2 each
- exotic mushroom blend - 4 ozs.
- baby carrots - 6 ozs., cleaned and trimmed
- angel hair pasta - 4 ozs., cooked
- green onions - julienned
- For Miso Broth
- scallions - 1/2 bunch, sliced thin, white and green parts separated
- fresh ginger - 1 (1/2-inch), chopped
- garlic cloves - 2, chopped
- toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp.
- water - 4 cups
- dried kelp - 1.5 (6-inch) pieces (kombu)
- bonito flakes - 1/8 cup
- dried shitake mushrooms - 1.5 ozs.
- light miso - 1/4 cup
For Mise En Place:
- Prepare miso broth (see recipe below); while broth is cooking, continue with the rest.
- Season mahi-mahi with salt and pepper. Pan-sear on high heat, 2 to 3 minutes on each side, and finish in a 500º oven for 5 to 6 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Sauté mushrooms in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Blanch carrots and bok choy in salted water until tender, then shock in an ice bath.
- Place angel hair pasta in a 350º fryer; cook until crispy.
For Miso Broth:
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add the scallions, white parts, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Cook for one minute, then add 8 cups of water.
- Rinse the kombu and add it to the pot, along with the bonito flakes. Bring it to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes; do not let it boil. Remove the kombu and set it aside.
- Add the dried mushrooms and miso to the pot and let it simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are hydrated and tender.
- Add olive oil to a hot pan; place blanched carrots, bok choy and cooked mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then deglaze pan with miso broth and hold off to the side.
- In a large, shallow bowl, place half of a head of bok choy in the center of the bowl and let the carrots and mushrooms fall naturally.
- Place the mahi-mahi on top of the vegetables.
- Gently ladle enough miso broth to cover the bottom of the bowl.
- Sprinkle dish with green onions.
- Top with crispy noodles.