Trio of Lamb (lamb rack, lamb liver and lamb sweetbreads)
Recipe courtesy of Edward Leonard, CMC, Director of Culinary Operations/Executive Chef, The Polo Club of Boca Raton (Fla.)
- For Lamb
- racks lamb - 2, cleaned and chimed
- olive oil - 2 Tbsps.
- kosher salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- dijon mustard - 4 Tbsps.
- fresh breadcrumbs - 6 Tbsps., seasoned with fresh rosemary, flat leaf parsley and curly parsley
- seasoned flour
- lamb liver - 1
- lamb sweetbreads - 6 (about 150 g/5¼ ozs.), soaked in cold water
- butter - for basting
- For Garlic Cream
- garlic cloves - 2
- heavy cream - 1 cup
- sprig fresh thyme - as needed
- bay leaf - 1
- To serve
- spinish or kale - sautéed
- pea shoots - as needed
- Prepare the garlic cream by placing the garlic in a small, heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add the cream, thyme and bay leaf and heat gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, remove any excess fat from the racks, leaving just a thin layer. Cut away all the meat and fat from between the cutlet bones, scraping the bones clean. Preheat the oven to 230º C/450º F/Gas 8.
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof frying pan. Season the racks of lamb, then place in the hot pan, bone side down first. Fry for one minute, either side, or until well-colored.
- Brush the racks with mustard, then dip into the herbed breadcrumbs. Return to the pan, then transfer to the oven to cook for a further 10-12 minutes.
- Dust the liver and sweetbreads with seasoned flour. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan. Add the liver and fry for 2-3 minutes, either side. Dot with a little butter.
- Add the sweetbreads and fry until they are brown and crisp on the outside. Remove from the heat and leave to rest. Take the lamb from the oven and leave to rest.
- Season the garlic cream, pour into a blender and blend until smooth. For extra smoothness, push the garlic cream through a sieve. Keep warm.
- Wipe the frying pan that contained the liver clean. Toss in the spinach and peas and stir, over a gentle heat, until wilted.
- Divide the spinach and peas between two plates. Slice the racks into cutlets, then arrange the cutlets on top of the spinach.
- Slice the liver and divide between the two plates, resting the slices on top of the cutlets. Arrange the sweetbreads around the plate.
- Drizzle over the garlic cream and finish with a sprinkling of pea shoots.