- Yield: 8 servings
Chestnut Ravioli with Sage Browned Butter
Recipe courtesy of Neil Mayoros, Executive Chef, Trenton Country Club, West Trenton, N.J.
- chestnuts - 1 cup roasted, shelled, and skinned (½ lb. in shell or 7 ozs. bottled whole)
- pancetta or bacon - 2 ozs. sliced, finely chopped
- unsalted butter - 2 ozs.
- onion - 1/4 cup finely chopped
- garlic clove - 1 large, smashed
- water - 1/4 cup
- Granny Smith apple - 1
- parmesan - 2 Tbsps., finely grated
- fresh flat-lead parsley - 1 Tbsp., finely chopped
- wonton wrappers - 48
- fresh lemon jucie - 1 Tbsp.
- fresh sage - 1 Tbsp., finely chopped
- Coarsely chop chestnuts.
- Cook pancetta in 3 tbsp. butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp on edges, about five minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is softened. Add chestnuts and water and simmer, stirring, until liquid is reduced by half. Discard garlic.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and mash to a coarse paste with a fork. Peel half of apple and cut enough of peeled half into 1/4-inch dice to measure 3 tbsp. Reserve remaining (unpeeled) apple. Stir diced peeled apple into chestnut mixture with Parmesan, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put one wonton wrapper on a work surface, keeping remaining wrappers in plastic wrap, and mound 1 tbsp. of filling in center. Lightly brush edges of wrapper with water and top with a second wrapper, pressing down around filling to force out air. Trim excess dough with cutter and seal edges well, pressing them together with your fingertips. Cut enough of unpeeled apple into 1/4-inch dice to measure 3 tbsp. and toss with lemon juice.
- Heat remaining 4 tbsp. butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat until foam subsides and butter begins to turn brown. Stir in sage and cook, stirring, until sage is crisp and butter is golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ravioli to a 6-qt. pot of salted boiling water, then cook at a slow boil, stirring gently occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer ravioli with a slotted spoon to a colander to drain. Slide ravioli into sage butter and cook over moderate heat, stirring gently, for one minute.
- Sprinkle ravioli with unpeeled apple and season with pepper.