Yuzu Raspberry Sorbet Bite
Recipe courtesy of William Racin, Pastry Chef, Duquesne Country Club (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- Ingredients for Yuzu Sorbet
- water - 415 gms.
- sugar - 255 gms.
- powdered glucose - 75 gms.
- sorbet stabilizer - 4 gms.
- yuzu purée - 500 gms.
- Ingredients for Raspberry Gel
- raspberry purée - 370 gms.
- trimoline - 60 gms.
- granulated sugar - 60 gms.
- NH Pectin - 6 gms.
- raspberry slices, thick - 4 mm (as needed)
- Ingredients for the Dehydrated Swiss Meringue Kiss
- egg white powder - 3 gms.
- water - 30 gms.
- granulated sugar - 50 gms.
- red color - as needed
- poppy seeds - as needed
Procedure for Yuzu Sorbet
- In a stainless-steel pan, whisk together sugar, powdered glucose and sorbet stabilizer.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly to prevent scorching.
- Remove from meat and allow to cool over an ice bath until the mixture reaches 40 degrees Celsius.
- Using a hand blender, emulsify the yuzu purée into the mixture.
- Process sorbet base in ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Extrude the sorbet into a piping bag and deposit into small sphere silicone molds.
- Freeze until completely set.
- Unmold and store for service in the freezer.
Procedure for Raspberry Gel
- In a stainless-steel pan, whisk together the NH pectin and granulated sugar until combined.
- Add raspberry purée and trimoline.
- Bring mixture to a rapid boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Once the mixture has boiled for 5 minutes, transfer into another container and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Scrape the mixture into a blender and process the mix until completely smooth.
- Transfer smooth gel to a pastry bag and reserve for service.
Procedure for Dehydrated Swiss Meringue Kiss
- Turn the hydrator on the 24-hour setting at 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bottom of a 5-quart mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar and the egg white powder. (This will prevent clumps when the liquid is added.)
- Add the water and place the mixture over a simmering pan of water. Warm mixture to 60 degrees Celsius.
- Transfer to a stand mixture with the whip attachment installed.
- Whip on high speed until the mixture is voluminous and cool to the touch.
- Remove 1/3 of the mixture and color red.
- In alternating motions, add the red and white meringue into the pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe the meringue into small kiss onto a dehydrator mat.
- Lightly sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Dehydrate meringue for 24 hours or completely dry.
- Remove from mat and store with silica packets to keep the meringue crispy.
Procedure for Plating
- Place the sorbet sphere in the center of the glass.
- Place the fresh raspberry slice onto the sorbet.
- Fill the void of the raspberry with raspberry gel.
- Top the dessert with a dried meringue, and serve immediately.