- Yield: One 9-inch cake
Sour Cream Coconut Cake
Recipe courtesy of David Pinckney, Executive Chef, Cherokee Country Club, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Duncan Hines yellow butter recipe - 2 18ozs.
- cake mix or Gold Medal Super Moist
- yellow cake mix
- butter - 1 cup (use real butter)
- eggs - 6
- water - 1 1/3 cups
- sour cream - 1 cup
- For Coconut Icing
- coconut - 1.5 lbs. (Coral Bay medium shred)
- sour cream - 1.5 lbs.
- 10X sugar - 1.5 lbs.
- Malibu Coconut Rum - 3 Tbsps.
- Mix together all ingredients. Divide batter into four 9-inch pans. Bake at 300º F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool in the pans for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip over onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and refrigerate.
- Save the best cake layer for the top.
For Coconut Icing:
- Mix all ingredients together and chill.
- Ice each layer with coconut icing. Let icing fall down the sides and leave the cake layers exposed on the side of the cake.