- Yield: 6
Shanghai Sesame Seed Big Eye Ahi Tuna Wakame Cucumber Noodle Salad
Recipe courtesy of Manfred Bräuer, Executive Chef, The Vintage Club, Indian Wells, Calif.
- Big Eye Ahi Tuna
- Big Eye Ahi Tuna, barrel-cut - 18 oz
- toasted sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
- coriander seeds and leaves, choped - 1/2 cup
- sesame oil - 1/4 cup
- kosher salt - 1 Tbsp.
- fresh-cracked black pepper - 2 Tbsp.
- Wakame Cucumber Noodle Salad
- Wakame seaweed - 4 oz.
- rice glass noodles - 4 oz.
- cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced - 1
- apple cider vinegar - 4 Tbsp.
- tamari soy - 3 Tbsp.
- honey - 2 Tbsp.
- sesame oil - 3/4 Tbsp.
- green onion, chopped - 1
- carrot, sliced - 1/2
- pickled radishes - 4 each
- daikou sprouts - 4 each
- Fuji apple - 1 each
- For Tuna: Season tuna with salt and pepper. Rub barrel-cut tuna with sesame seed and coriander. Place large non-stick pan on the stove over medium-high heat, add the sesame oil. Once the oil is hot, sear tuna for 10 seconds on each side until the tuna is rare, set aside and let rest.
- For Wahame Cucumber Noodle Salad: Soak rice glass noodles in hot water for 3 minutes. Marinate seaweed, noodles, cucumber, carrots and green onions with sesame oil, honey, tamari soy and apple cider vinegar.
- To Plate: Place salad in the center of the plate. Slice tuna on ½-inch bias. Arrange tuna surrounding the salad. Decorate with pickled radish, daikou sprouts and Fuji apple.